F1

A little gem about driving technique

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Victor.
    Participant

I’ve just stumbled upon this and it makes me wonder why there isn’t more information about driving techniques. People love their drivers and I for one find it fascinating to know what actually goes on behind the wheel. At the moment we get Martin Brundle occasionally reminding us what the difference between oversteer and understeer is. I understand that TV stations cater to everybody and not everyone craves such insight, but in such a highly complex discipline some more information explaining why these guys are actually the best would be quite handy. Even for recreational viewers some simplified educational pieces might help to dispel the notion that it’s ‘easy’ (WRC is so much more difficult because they go sideways). In most other sports I can think of the technical differences between players/athletes are plain to see if you have some knowledge about the sport – why would anyone not want to be able to understand the idiosyncratic subtleties which define a particular racing driver?

Either way, enjoy.

George
    Participant

Really great video, I’m currently at or near that level in sim racing and it’s taking me too long to adapt to lack of downforce/grip say because of turbulence, definitely an area I need to improve on myself. I also occasionally suffer from the rigidness he talks about at the end, he explains that very well.

Matthijs
    Participant

@george Funny you mention sim racing, because I find it very hard to adapt this driving style in sim racing. In karting, I am better at it (I make myself believe…). The reason is that I can actually ‘feel’ the kart behaving, when with sim racing I have to wait until I can ‘see’ it, which is always a fraction later.

Nick
    Participant

Great video and I wish there were more people talking about racing this clearly. A lot of drivers and experts like to lift driving techniques up to some sort of magical level; ‘I don’t know how Senna/Schumacher/Hamilton does it’, despite having worked for an F1 team or have driven for 10 years is all too common.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.