F1

Alonso's very early engine and the rule?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eggry
    Participant

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=393036&FS=F1

an interesting article. it said Alonso could use his 1st engine in Abu Dhabi in the Quali and the race.

as all you knows, Ferrari requested a permission to modify their engine after Malaysian failurs(Alonso himself, tragic Toro Rosso, the most disastrous Sauber) and FIA approved. they modified engines and as you know there has been no more failure.

http://www.f1wolf.com/2010-season

I though Alonso’s 1st and 2nd engines deverted for practices(I thought that is why we can’t see these 2 engines in the chart, only indicate qualy and race), but what is the rule? the article said Ferrari want to use their low-mileage 1st engine but the rule restricted it. now the finale of the seasos has come and he’s allowed to use the engine for the race?

I don’t know the regulation well, so if there’s anyone who know pleae tell me what is the rule exactly. My guess is that these 2 engines are the only engines modified after running the race. 3rd one was never modified(at least as I know) and after 4th he has used modified ones from the first.

ps.or the article is bullshit? lol

Red Andy
    Participant

The rule is that if you change an engine during a race weekend (as Ferrari did in one of the early races, was it Bahrain?), you can’t use it again that year, except for in the final race of the season. So Alonso’s first engine, which was changed after qualifying earlier in the season, can’t be reused until Abu Dhabi.

Eggry
    Participant

@Red Andy Aha! I see. thanks RA!

Icthyes
    Participant

I did wonder why everyone seemed to have junked their Bahrain engines. I’d assumed because Bahrain was so hot they were unusable again. In fact, given that none of the teams have said “you forget, we still have Engine #1” when asked about engine concerns, I’m pretty sure we won’t see it making a comeback. The clue I think is in the rule: if you change an engine. Alonso’s was replaced because it was faulty. In fact I’m sure it was later used in practice because whilst it couldn’t go the whole race and qualifying, it could do practice distances.

Eggry
    Participant

@Icthyes Persuasive. I have thought it had been used for practice too before reading this article. maybe the article goes too far? I still think he will use #6 and #7 for remaining 2 races or just #7.

Icthyes
    Participant

Yeh as good as F1Wolf is for this info, there’s nothing to tell you if an engine’s been laid aside or junked. I’d expect him to use #6 this weekend and #7 for the finale (it’s the freshest one), but if he doesn’t have #6 then #7 will go three races.

Julian
    Participant

I think the teams usually use the Bahrain engine once for the race then use it for practice in later grand prixs as the heat and sand generally hamper the life of the engine. So i dont think Alonso will use it again for the last race. However im pretty sure he has only used the engine from Spa (engine 7) once and that engine will be used for Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

Alonso had used engine 8 for the past four races so any reliability problems engine wise look pretty slim in the last 2 rounds. That being said, anything can happen :)

sato113
    Participant

why does it show Massa as having used 9 engines? he never got a penalty…

Dan Thorn
    Participant

He introduced a 9th engine at Singapore seeing as he was at the back of the grid anyway.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.