F1

Alternatives to Autosport.com?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Tom_ec1
    Participant

Hi,

I currently get all my F1 fix from two places:

1. Autosport.com – news
    2. F1Fanatic – analysis, opinion

However, Autosport have now introduced a quota of 50 articles per month which I have quickly exceeded.

Do you have any views on what is the best alternative to Autosport.com for frequent, detailed and reliable news reporting?

Fer no.65
    Participant

I didn’t know about the 50 articles per month.

It’s hard to replace Autosport. It’s the best one by far.
    I used to check GPUpdate.net everyday before discovering F1Fanatic, so maybe you can use that one. It’s not Autosport, but it’s something.

Tom_ec1
    Participant

You are right about it being hard to replace Autosport.

For e.g. Just checked BBC, Sky, PlanetF1 and GPUpdate and none of them have the story about the FIA’s plans for new entry fee structure that Autosport are reporting.

Might have to find a way to get around the 50 articles per month. Otherwise it’s 88p per week apparently…

Fer no.65
    Participant

BBC & Sky websites are not that good for day by day news. They have good analysis from the pundits and stuff, but they don’t update the site very often, specially if there’re no races.

PlanetF1 is quite rubbish for the news. I check it every now and then but I don’t like it.

the_sigman
    Participant

I also use ESPNF1.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think autosport.com’s online deal is quite good value as it also gives access to additional editorials. I always forget I get a digital version of the autosport magazine included in whatever package I picked until a couple of days as well until it comes around :p

cmckinleyF1
    Participant

A lot of stories from Autosport get published here as well – http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/formula-1/archive/1.html

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

For rumors (not necessarily accurate), I use F1SA.com. But a reliable alternative to Autosport is italiaracing.net, which, despite the language barrier (which may be overcome with Google Translate), provides fantastic coverage of the junior formulae (they were the first to report the Bianchi-Tech1 deal).

Calum
    Participant

I alwas go on the autosport forums on practice or quali days to see the pictures of the cars’ updates, the car threads are good at getting the latset pictures up really quickly. I never post there, but like I say it’s a good place to see the updates. – I was shocked when I saw the latest MP4-27 sidepods last Thursday as the team’s set up the garages.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I just stay here for my primary news source, the daily round-ups cover most stories while the big ones get their own articles.

dot_com
    Participant

GPUpdate, F1Fanatic, and Autosport are my main stops for news. I like JA on F1 for in-depth articles – he’s a much better analyst/journalist than commentator! SpeedTV sometimes has some interesting articles. PlanetF1 is OK, except for the YouTube style comments on whether Hamilton is faster than Alonso that plague practically every single article.

Tom_ec1
    Participant

I note that Autosport have raised their free article limit to 60 per month.

Response to growth of MotorSport.com ?

PorscheF1
    Participant

I really like Autosport and would love to read it on paper though. Costs way to much to get it here.

I use F1Fanatic, a dutch forum on which I debate with some very smart and knowledgeable folks.

But my main thing is just twitter. Follow so many news sites I can easily filter out what seems important and what I want to read.

F1Zone.net is also a good site to read on.

motorsport.com ? (Prefer their old (uglier) UI, but that one has been gone for ages)

Their current UI looks OK but feels as good as reading about a new Tilkedrome.

I do feel that Autosport’s articles are a tad better, but as a news site motorsport.com is at the very least adequate, and then some.

Edit: Their UI is actually rather OK now, but I still prefer the old one (the archaic-looking red-white-grey-blue one).

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Yeah Twitter is superb news-wise if you’re following the right people. As of late, even the official F1 site hasn’t been too bad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.