F1

Applying some tactics in real F1 to the video game

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Eggry
    Participant

http://youtu.be/CWDHMZ0MwHE

http://youtu.be/mUWHkmVxxb8

I’m overjoyed now because I successfully implemented real world tactics in the video game, F1 2011!

Initially, My nemesis(Live tag ‘Nyboys’) was faster than me. I guess he used RICH fuel map at the time while I sticked with NORMAL map to save fuel. I have to mention that fuel map is much more crucial in short gameplay(20%) rather than tyre management. As you can see I couldn’t match his pace. perhaps there were problems in my set-up. I wasn’t comfortable with the option during practice but the prime was good. Actually a lap with the prime was unbreakable.

Anyway, after the pitstop I switched to RICH map and I guess he switched to NORMAL. I was definitely faster than him but overtake was not too easy. I tried to close the gap and finally I could use DRS first time but that’s not enough. He switched to RICH even though it’s temporary while I could use the map for whole remaining laps. We had some nice wheel to wheel. I think Turn1-2 and Turn 9 in Lap 7 is quite proud.

The most interesting part of the race(or tactics) is a later part of Lap 7. Entering back straight, I was still ahead of him but he closed the gap and just behind me. He could use DRS against me even if I had been still ahead of him at last corner. So I thought something. DRS is not so powerful but enough to make pass. Why should I give him position(temporarily!) to use DRS again? Do you remember Nico did the same thing to PDR at the same place?

Well, it was perfect. I was closer to him than my first DRS attempt so I could pass him easier than it and shaked him off.

I know F1 2011 is not so realistic but it’s reasonably fun. If I want some realistic physics, I can play Forza 4 and Gran Turismo 5. Sorry, I’m not a hard core sim fan who playing iRacing or rFactor so you can say what I’ve done is not so convincing. Still, I’m happy that I could win via using replica of real tactics.

How do you think? Is it too artificial(in terms of DRS) as this year’s some pass? Is it interesting that real tactics is able to be applied to the video game which is not so realistic? Do you have similar experience in F1 2011 or different fame?? Perhaps it’s not video game is closing to real world but real F1 is closing to video game?

I tried to undercut damonsmedley in the second round of pitstops during Round 1 of the Collantine Cup – didn’t exactly work though.

Eggry
    Participant

@Magnificent-Geoffrey Well it seems like tyre warm up is not so crucial in the game. Tyre temperature raise too fast.

I didn’t know about Collantine Cup until now so I searched it. Wow! there’s YouTube channel! I watched some videos and surley it’s quite fun. I think all players turned off all assist and manual shift right? but I and my friend are not so friendly with manual shift(I tried it wishing it would give me some advantage against my friends, but maunal+DRS+KERS is too difficult with joypad…so I abandon the idea) and don’t want to spoil the race with silly mistake or some fortune. so please understand my gameplay is fully aided(except brake assist) and automatic.

I didn’t know about Collantine Cup until now so I searched it.

http://www.rowsdowr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Bert_snaps.gif

I think all players turned off all assist and manual shift right? but I and my friend are not so friendly with manual shift(I tried it wishing it would give me some advantage against my friends, but maunal+DRS+KERS is too difficult with joypad…so I abandon the idea) and don’t want to spoil the race with silly mistake or some fortune. so please understand my gameplay is fully aided(except brake assist) and automatic.

I drive with no assists (because I’m a real man, obviously) but we allow any and all assists for those who want to use them. It’s good fun. No assists on a controller is hard, but it’s manageable for sure. And it helps you improve your skills and you can go faster than you can with them off. Go on, be brave.

Eggry
    Participant

@Magnificent-Geoffrey I actually cleared some years in career mode with expert difficulty so I can say I can drive with manual and aids off except TCS(medium) but I just can’t stand the fact that I would lose because I choose to drive without assists ! as you can see my nemesis and another driver(3rd one. RHKinSEES) are quite good with assists so I’m sure I would lose. of course I’m confident I would win almost every race if assists are banned! Haha…

Anyway I have to admit you’re a real man! The Real Magnificent Geoffrey! Now I just want you to make a poem for me when my birth day comes in 2012 :D

Slr
    Participant

Driving without assists with a controller is impossible. It’s much harder to control the throttle and braking with triggers in comparison to pedals. Also, playing around the gearbox just gives me too much to think about personally.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

@eggry i’ll agree! if there’s anything that F12011 had done well it would be the Fuel Saving.. they really nailed it!

Todfod
    Participant

Man I gotta get myself a PS3. Could anyone give me details on what connection speed would we require to play online/multiplayer without any problems or lag?

damonsmedley
    Participant

@Todfod I don’t think any of us have anything special. I just have a cheap wireless router and an ADSL plan. Whatever you have would be enough, I’d imagine.

Todfod
    Participant

@damonsmedley Internet connectivity in India is abolute crap. We have low bandwidth and a lot of constant cut offs. A ball park idea of a some of the connection speeds you guys use would be great 1mbps, 2mbps, 10mbps? Right now I have a 512kbps ADSL wifi router which I am upgrading to a 1mbps by the end of the month

damonsmedley
    Participant

@Todfod Use speedtest.net and see how you compare to this:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.