F1

Are we going to see a repeat of 2011?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Ben Furtula
    Participant

With Sebastian Vettel winning yesterday and in Malaysia, Do you you think we are going to see the dominence of 2011 in 2013?

mnmracer
    Participant

With Lotus and Ferrari having better race pace in Australia, and Ferrari and Lotus and Mercedes having better pace in China, and the other ‘Newey car’ nowhere near… no.

Kingshark
    Participant

Hardly, I think that Alonso’s DRS failure made Vettel’s win seem much easier than it otherwise would’ve been. I personally don’t believe that Red Bull were dominant today, Webber seemed too slow slow.

Michael
    Participant

It’s evident that the Red Bull has insane pace – you only needed to see the way it pulled away from Rosberg after passing him.

It reminded me of 2011 where Seb could build a 1-2 second gap over the 1st lap.

matt90
    Participant

Everybody pulled away from Rosberg after passing him though.

magon4
    Participant

Red Bull hasn’t been the fastest car even once this year, on racing day.
    Lotus and Ferrai have had some bad luck or bad strategy calls, that’s all. For me, Raikkonen is currently the favorite to win the title.

Force Maikel
    Participant

The 2011 Red Bull car was just superior to anything the other teams threw at it. They even won on insane fast tracks like Spa and Monza. In 2012 and 2013 the others have become much closer mainly down to small chances in regulation and aggressive Pirelli tyres.

The only reason he extracted so much speed out of the car was getting clean air early on and the bad luck of Alonso. When his DRS flap was stuck open he held up most competitors behind him, aiding Vettel in creating the gap to the other cars.

mnmracer
    Participant

When his DRS flap was stuck open he held up most competitors behind him, aiding Vettel in creating the gap to the other cars.

Lap 6-7 is when Alonso’s wing went rogue.
    Rosberg, di Resta, Massa, Webber and Button had no significant drop in lap times during those laps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Very hard to predict so early, but so far Vettel does not seem to have any problems keeping high speed and consistency. So one could fear it. I hope Räikkonen will win, and join the Red Bull team for 2014, so he really can give Vettel tough competition!

Kingshark
    Participant

Alonso was only 1 second slower than Vettel with his DRS stuck open though, and early in the race Seb is always pushing to make a gap. That’s hugely impressive actually, because even when he had better straight line speed, DC stated that the Ferrari lost 160 kg of downforce through the corners.

Hell, this makes me question how accurate Helmut Marko’s claim that RBR have “far more downforce” than any other team really is?

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

Very unlikely. Lotus and Ferrari have already shown they are a match, if not even slightly quicker than Red Bull in race conditions. Vettel’s race literally could not have gone any better from his point of view yesterday, apart from not getting Rosberg at the start. I think that definitely exaggerated how dominant he looked.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What happened to Vettel after Bahrain last year?

As a Vettel fan I certainly won’t like to see a repeat of that, but Vettel was certainly not dominant between Bahrain 2012 and Singapore 2012.

DC
    Participant

With Kimi’s consistency and Alonso with better luck, not possible. So keep your fingers crossed :).

Journeyer
    Participant

I’d say no, but at the same time, I don’t think it’ll be as close as 2010 or 2012, either. While Lotus is right there in terms of consistency, they’re not quite there yet in terms of overall pace (think Enstone’s 2004 in contrast to their 2005). As for Alonso, he’s already dropped as many points this year as he did for virtually the whole of last year. To replicate last year’s consistency, he needs to score in pretty much every remaining race now – and that’s just to get him back to contention.

Kingshark
    Participant

@journeyer

As for Alonso, he’s already dropped as many points this year as he did for virtually the whole of last year. To replicate last year’s consistency, he needs to score in pretty much every remaining race now – and that’s just to get him back to contention.

Seriously? It seems that the new point system has played a trick on most of our perception.

30 points is not much at all, that’s about 12 points with the old point system.

Drivers’ have regularly came back from a larger margin that this to put themselves back in contention. Schumacher in 2003, Schumacher in 2006, Raikkonen in 2007, Massa in 2008, Alonso in 2010, and Vettel in 2012.

The whole championship is still wide open, Alonso’s anything but out of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.