F1

Best driver never to have won a Grand Prix

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author

Nico Rosberg.

I await the day of his first victory. It will be the first of many.

Journeyer
    Participant

I peg Nico R to have 8-10 wins. A dozen, tops. There may be a championship in there, but I’m not so sure he’ll pull it off. Especially if Vettel decides to go to Mercedes instead of Ferrari.

Oh, and the best driver to never win a GP for me is Amon. I’m not so sure of my stats, but Amon led more laps and had more chances to win than Heidfeld (who tended to get his 2nd places by quietly moving up the order). Also, while Heidfeld finished goodness knows how many races in a row, Amon was always beset by mechanical woes, usually when leading…

fahadalam007
    Participant

Nico rosberg,Nick hiedfeld And Nico hulkenburg!!! :) Lolx all the drivers starting their name by N do not have good luck :)

jihelle
    Participant

Well I would say Amon of course because the guy was so good and so unlucky but it’s now history. Regarding “modern F1” I would say Stefan Johansson with Salo or Wendlinger as runner-up. (Yes Wendlinger, the guy did amazing things with sub-par cars before his accident) He was rated as highly as Schumacher and Frentzen when with the Mercedes junior team.

Browny
    Participant

I’d have to say

1. Nick Heidfeld

2, Chris Amon

3. Martin Brudle

NickV

I agree with most people in that Amon, Brundle and Heidfeld are probably the top three

sbl on tour
    Participant

tommy byrne, chris amon,tom pryce, stefan bellof, tony brise, roger williamson, teo fabi

sblot

Anonymous
    Inactive

That German bloke… Michael Somthing or other… he might have snook a win in actually. No really stats and what drivers of the era said about him poor Chris Amon, in my time watching F1 Brundle and definately Nico Rosberg

DVC
    Participant

Can’t agree with anyone putting Heidfeld ahead of Brundle. Brundle’s drives in that under-powered Tyrell were brilliant – inspired compared to anything I saw Heidfeld do. Brundle was also lightning at LeMans.

The clincher for me is a quote from Flavio Briatore, “I never should have fired you Brundle, I just had no idea how good Schumacher was.”

Brundle wasn’t a good qualifier. He was out-qualified by Schumacher in every race they drove together for Benetton. However, he did manage to out race Schumi quite a few times, even when neither of them had any issues.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brundle gets my vote. Then i’d say Sutil and Heidfeld

Anonymous
    Inactive

heidfeld, technically won the canadian gp, kubica was better positioned on the championship so he won and he got 1st place on the standigs 1st time for bmw

plushpile
    Participant

“I never should have fired you Brundle, I just had no idea how good Schumacher was.”

Source plz

heidfeld, technically won the canadian gp, kubica was better positioned on the championship so he won and he got 1st place on the standigs 1st time for bmw

Don’t make me laugh

GeeMac
    Participant

IrishDelee’s suggestion of Stefan Bellof is a very good one. Let’s not forget that at Monaco in 1984 he was catching Senna at a greater rate than Senna was catching Prost before the race was stopped. It would have been interesting to see what the fall out would have been like (1) had the race not been stopped and (2) if he had managed to win the race, because Tyrrell were later disqualified from the whole championship.

That aside, my vote goes for Martin Brundle, a top quality driver who never got a competitive drive in F1.

Mack41
    Participant

@IrishDelee and GeeMac you guys beat me to it. When I started getting really into F1 this past year I watched that Monaco race on youtube because it was made out as the first great show by Ayrton Senna, but I was enthralled by Bellof’s charge and much more impressed. I felt that if that race didn’t stop sure Senna would have passed into first for a couple laps, but Bellof would have won it. He was on fire. I was sorely upset to learn that he died as I was greatly looking forward to watching more footage of him racing. His record lap of the Nurburgring is astonishing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Definitely Brundle. It’s a damn shame he was in an F1 car that was either on the way up, on the way down or just plain bad. He never had a proper front runner.

92 Benetton, just coming good. 94 McLaren, start of the downturn for that team. 96 Jordan, starting to look good and lost the drive for 97.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.