F1

Best driver never to have won a Grand Prix

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    David-A
    Participant

Giorgio Pantano had a real talent. For spinning in a straight line:

Maybe that’s why he can’t get a phone contract with Vodafone.

skodarap

Uh, this is a great topic, with so many potential candidates.

For me the best one would be Amon, and close behind him Warwick, Brundle, Heidfeld, De Cesaris (prolly the best paydriver ever), Bellof and Wendlinger.

From the current ones Kobayashi and Rosberg, but I’m pretty sure they’ll get at least one sometime in the future.

Tom L.
    Participant

Re. the Pantano videos –

1) To be fair to him, if the front wing breaks in a fast corner (regardless of the fact that it was probably his fault) I don’t think many drivers would be able to turn!

2) Again, you don’t spin like that unless something’s broken on the car (usually…)

Poor old Zsolt didn’t have much luck, did he? I remember him getting taken out by Jenson Button in Spa as well.

jihelle
    Participant

Yes you’re right, but he was a way to answer SVettel very bashful post.

Adam Tate
    Participant

Salo and Heidfeld could both have wins, but gave them up to their respective team mates. Salo to Irvine in 99, and Heidfeld to Kubica at Canada in 08.

Still my overall pick for this goes to Heidfeld, he finished 2nd 4 times in 2008 alone. Very unlucky not to get a win in the same season Kovalienen was handed one whilst running in 2nd for most of the race.

Kingshark
    Participant

Intresting, I think this topic deserves a bump. Anyway, this is my top 5:

1) Amon – 11 Podiums

2) Brundle – 9 Podiums

3) Heidfeld – 13 Podiums

4) Johanson – 12 Podiums, I’m surprised nobody metioned him!

5) Rosberg – 5 Podiums

I think #5 might change soon, he’s only 25. When he gets his first win he’ll have a huge confidence boost. Potentially, I think Rosberg can be a famous diver of the 2010’s I reckon. (alongside Vettel, Hamilton, and Kubica)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ricardo Rodriguez. Qualified second on his debut, youngest ever to start on front row (19 years old), and died aged 20.

Meander
    Participant

Maybe not the best, but some drivers who were terribly fast on their day:

– Ivan Capelli

– Stefano Modena

Also, Stefan Johansson deserved at least 1 win I think. Mika Salo too, especially he was the best on track the day he had to gift his win to Irvine. And I agree on Heidfeld and Rosberg, even though Rosberg should be able to notch up at least one before he retires.

Icthyes
    Participant

Incredible that Rodriguez’s record as youngest points-scorer lasted all the way until Jenson Button came along!

sbl on tour
    Participant

heidfeld, once this years over he,ll be out on his ear

rosberg, flatters to decieve, that fellah, journeyman at best

Tom L.
    Participant

Heidfeld’s future will probably be dependent on 1) if and when Kubica can return and 2) if he can’t/doesn’t, how he compares to Petrov over the course of this year. I’m still hoping he might grab that first win in some race of high attrition, after a double overtake and a genius strategy call in changeable conditions…!

As for Rosberg I could see him being a Webber-like driver, there or thereabouts for a number of years without really getting a break, then one year he’ll end up in a good car and grab a few wins.

ob1kenobi.23
    Participant

Chris Amon. Tommy Byrne. Stefa Belloff

matt90
    Participant

I’m bumping this seeing as the topic seems to have been duplicated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just a heads up mods, I did a search using the “search” bar before making that post and nothing at all came up. I thought for sure there MUST have been this thread created before. The search function fails again.

wsrgo
    Participant

@obi1kenobi23 Tommy Byrne, really? Just because he showed promise in a few races for Theodore? I understand, his junior formulae records were pretty good, but here we’re discussing about “best driver to have never won a Grand Prix” meaning that these guys proved time and again in F1 itself, that they had the pace to win. but for an unfortunate mix of circumstances and errors.
    Anyway, I’ve read Byrne’s book which he co-authored with Mark Hughes. His arrogance and ignorance cost him a shot at F1. He had this belief that if he was doing badly, it was the car, the engine et. al. but never him, because “great drivers don’t lose their talent in a day.” With that sort of attitude, I’m glad the Irishman didn’t stay in F1 for long…

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.