F1

Slim’s ”Claro” to sponsor McLaren

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JP
    Participant
    Jack_Hider
    Participant

Er, no.

I shall believe it when it is officially announced. This to me has no real credentials.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Yeah, the article could just be referring to the way McLaren were running with Claro logos on their rear wings in Spain (in place of Tooned).

Calum
    Participant

“[Carlos Slim brand] Mclaren-Honda” is the worst kept secret in F1, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Anonymous
    Inactive

what is this brand anyways?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@calum – Joe Saward reckons that GlaxoSmithKline will take the title sponsorship role at McLaren next year. Since they have recently offloaded their Ribena and Lucozade brands, he’s tipping their Boost health food supplement as the most likely title sponsor, so as to capitalise on its popularity in India and their planned expansion into Asia. In that case, I imagine that they would cycle through brands – like the Lucozade/Maximuscle changes last year – in Europe and the Americas.

Of course, AT&T used to be Williams’ title sponsor, but only had minor branding on the car. It’s possible GSK could be a title sponsor with a brand like Claro getting prominence on the car and GSK using the name for promotional purposes.

@abdurahman – Claro is a mobile phone provider, not unlike Vodafone. In fact, I’m pretty sure they have a strategic alliance with Vodafone to use one another’s network infrastructure in the Americas. It’s one of several brands owned by Carlos Slim – the world’s richest man – under the America Movil banner. He also owns Telmex, TelCel, Embratel and a couple of local brands. Claro itself is very big in Latin America, and is one of the four biggest mobile phone network operators in the world with over fity million customers.

wsrgo
    Participant

Why does this name ring such a strong bell? Did they sponsor some other team(like Sauber, for instance) before this??

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@wsrgo – Yes, they did. They sponsored Sauber while Sergio Perez was there, and continue though Esteban Gutierrez (you can also see minor branding for America Movil’s other brands, Telcel and Telmex, on the cars):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Sergio_Perez_British_GP_2012.jpg

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/saub-hulk-barc-2013-2.jpg

They also have branding on the McLaren, which was introduced at this weekend’s race. I’m having a bit of trouble locating a picture of it, though; Claro replaced Tooned on the back side of the rear wing.

wsrgo
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Ah, thanks for that. I knew I’d seen it somewhere, but I wasn’t sure where. Thanks for the pic links, too!!

GeeMac
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys There is an image of the MP4-28 with the Claro branding on the rear wing on the F1 website. It is image 64 of 64 in the race day image gallery. I can’t send the link here because of F1.com’s mad copyright protections.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@geemac – It’s also a bandwidth thing. Hotlinking images (even if Keith hasn’t formatted the blog to allow it, other forums do) chews through their bandwidth, which anyone would be eager to avoid, since it costs them money.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@abdurahman @prisoner-monkeys Over fifty million very unhappy customers, at that. Claro’s service is beyond rubbish.

Not that it has anything to do with this deal with McLaren, but don’t be surprised if they start having comunication problems. :P

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@fer-no65

Over fifty million very unhappy customers, at that. Claro’s service is beyond rubbish.

The same can be said of Vodafone, so nothing really changes for McLaren.

I have noticed that in the time since getting Vodafone as a major sponsor, the McLarens have performed about as well as Vodafone’s coverage.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys not a bright future then !

Nick
    Participant

Vodafone is currently running a commerical here where they present a deal so good, an animated man steps out of his wheelchair. Perhaps McLaren could use a deal like that..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.