F1

Current Grand Prix that belong and don't belong on F1 calendar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Marco Freire
    Participant

The Italian Grand Prix at Monza has been recently under threat of removal from the Formula One calendar. Unfortunately, we have seen some classic races go by the wayside over the past 10 years. Of all the current Grand Prixs on the calendar, which ones do you feel have a place on future GP calendars, and which ones don’t you feel should have a place on the GP calendar?

Dan
    Participant

From a personal point of view i would say Cmthe Spanish grand prix at Catalyua, as it is a curcuit that is used extensively for testing so all the teams have the car set up more or less perfected before a wheel is turned so the qualfying usualy decides race results. Also with the Spanish weather there is little chance of a supprise result due to weather

WheelToWheel
    Participant

Get rid of China, Spain and Russia. China usually produce decent races but not much drama

Marco Freire
    Participant

I for one agree with Kavin- Russia and China should be dropped; Sochi is an abomination of a circuit and Shanghai has produced as you said a few good races, but not much drama. I also think Bahrain and Malaysia should be dropped, but there is little chance of that happening at the moment. The 2014 Bahrain GP was one of the best this decade, however. France and Argentina should be back on the calendar- and regarding Spain, I don’t think that should be off the calendar; but the teams should race elsewhere other than at a venue where they test often.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is an issue that has been on my mind recently, and I have previously discussed this on another forum, where I identified two problems with the calendar:

1. Too many races are in countries with no real motorsport following (which admittedly is a double-edged sword because how do you create such interest in the first place?), while long-established ones like France, Italy and Germany are threatened with the axe. I don’t mind F1 going to places like Korea or India, so long as they don’t threaten the places of too many of the more established ones. Magny-Cours is certainly no classic circuit, but the fact that there’s no French Grand Prix just feels wrong, being that France is the birthplace of Grand Prix racing and indeed motor racing itself.

2. More and more circuits are made in the same “5 km of long straights, tight hairpins and a few medium speed corners” mould, meaning less variety. Looking back on the comments on Sepang when it was first on the calendar I’ve seen praise for it being a “unique” circuit. Now, 15 years later, a third of the calendar is on tracks designed with a similar philosophy. Monza stands out because it’s a high-speed circuit, as did the old Hockenheim, Monaco stands out because of its tight and twisty nature etc. Yes, the old Hockenheim was not regarded as a circuit that consistently produced exciting races, but it was at least different from most other circuits on the calendar in its nature, which made it stand out, something I can’t say to the same extent for most newer circuits, though some do have a few sections that stand out (first sector at COTA for example). The philosophy of track design seems to no longer be about simply creating a challenging circuit but to create one that generates overtaking and therefore improve the “show”.

As for which Grands Prix I would personally like to see off the calendar, China and Russia have a growing presence in motorsport, so it makes sense to have races in these two countries, and they have been able to draw crowds, not as much as Silverstone or Monza, but noticeably more than Istanbul or Yeongam. The Shanghai circuit is not the worst I’ve seen and I refuse to rate Sochi on the basis of just one race, though my hopes for a good quality race there remain modest. The only one I would drop without any hesitation is Bahrain, as it’s the only one that doesn’t seem to have generated any local interest beyond the ruling élite. All the other races seem to have at least some local support, however small, but I’ve never seen anything of the like for Bahrain.

Then there’s the issue of available slots on the calendar, as it is as long as it will probably (and hopefully, for the sake of team members) get. I’ve only nominated Bahrain for the axe, which leaves 20 races from next year’s calendar, and several absent ones that probably are more deserving than others, such as France, which I’ve mentioned before, and Argentina has been previously mentioned as another race that should probably be making a return. To accommodate these two I would probably drop Abu Dhabi and possibly Malaysia or Singapore (as much as I have an appreciation for the latter two), or even Hungary or Baku, despite the fact that Baku’s the most “different” looking Tilke design for a while, in my view. Max Verstappen’s success could also generate interest for the Dutch Grand Prix to make a return, though that would raise the question of where to have it – Zandvoort isn’t exactly the same place it was when F1 left thirty years ago. Perhaps it’s not so realistic, but you never know.

Marco Freire
    Participant

@anto I agree with almost everything you are saying- there are too many F1 GP’s in countries that have too much money and not enough interest in motorsports in general. Bahrain and China I would cut without hesitation because motor racing has never really caught on in either of those places; Russia I would preferably move closer to Moscow or St. Petersburg. But if I had to shorten a 21-race calendar, Russia would be the next to go after Bahrain and China. Abu Dhabi and Singapore both have potential, only if both those circuits’ layouts are changed- I have yet to see one good F1 GP at either one of those places. I like the idea of having a GP in the Middle East and also entirely at night in a large, neon city. And all of those wrong-headed Tilkedromes- with the exception of Turkey- were just corporate arenas to try and spice up overtaking- which are all failures at attempting to do that- instead of trying to make the circuits challenging and varied or unique in some way, we get more hairpin-long straight-hairpin.

India was hurt by external politics and 3 poor races all of which were won by Vettel in a Red Bull-Renault. The track wasn’t too good, either, although its location made ample sense. This logic, unfortunately, did not apply to Korea or to a lesser extent, Turkey. South Korea was screwed right from the start because of its location- in the middle of nowhere in an ugly, industrial part of the country. In a location like that in a country that has very little history of motor racing and car manufacturers that have only just started to make decent road cars, the event had no chance of being successful because it didn’t have the proper exposure. Had that circuit been closer to Seoul, it’s chances of success would have been a lot greater- its exposure to one of Asia’s largest and most cosmopolitan cities would have been far greater to local businesses- Samsung and Hyundai included. Turkey didn’t work out because it was just a bit too far from the wrong side of Istanbul.

I don’t believe it’s possible nowadays to stage the Dutch and Belgian GP’s on the same calendar- both those countries are very small and are right next to each other; it’s either one or the other. Zandvoort is not the circuit it used to be (nor are most European circuits anymore, for that matter), and Spa is the best circuit to drive in Europe with the Nordschleife.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There isn’t a single Tilke track I think deserve to be there: they could be in any country in the world, and they look exactly the same. I think Buddh (India) was the worst example; one of the most unique and vibrant countries in the world, but the track in it’s style could have been Turkey or Malaysia.

I would like to have Zandvoort and Estoril back. And weirdly enough, Detroit. A known car-breaker, it always gave a good result.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No, no, no.
    You can drop either Sepang or Singapore, not both. I much prefer Sepang but I understand that Singapore is more commercially important. Those two are way too close in proximity anyway, especially now that Sepang got bumped next to Singapore for next year. Dropping both is an insulting move for us back in Southeast Asia and I hate that people always assume that European fans should always comes first. The racing has always been scheduled at your convenience and almost half of the calendar is in Europe and now you want more?
    Remember the rescheduling for the Q2 and Q3 of 2013 Australian GP? Yeah, that was because of you European viewers.
    The Japanese Grand Prix has always been scheduled so late in the day (3 pm local) in the interest of European viewers and I don’t know, maybe had last year’s race started way earlier than that things could have been different.

And at the risk of playing devil’s advocate, no more European races. Almost half of the calendar is already in Europe and in the interest of keeping this an actual WORLD Championship, the calendar should be spread evenly.
    Spa, Suzuka, Montreal, a US round (Watkins Glen’s the dream, but COTA’s not bad), Monza, Silverstone (I still prefer Brands Hatch, but Silverstone’s pretty great too), Sepang (yes, Sepang), Monaco, an Australian/New Zealand round, Interlagos are irreplaceable to me.
    In the interest of global availability, both Russia and China are too big to ignore so no matter how much I dislike both, those two are important.
    With Mexico, North America now has three races and while I suppose arguments could be made that that is a rather huge market, I still think 3 races are a bit too much.
    We also have Baku, Bahrain, and Abu Dhabi. Either Abu Dhabi or Bahrain should be cut from the calendar as those two are pretty close anyway. Bahrain should be given the axe as the pit crew deserves an air-conditioned pit garage. I personally think one’s enough for the region.

Out of 21, 10 got my personal stamp of approval. Russia and China’s too big a market too ignore. At least 1 slot goes to the Middle East for the money.
    In the interest of an actual World Championship, we need an African round. Discounting the regional instability for the time being, that region has been left untouched for too long.
    I second the suggestion for the return of Argentine Grand Prix. South America’s a huge place and we only have Interlagos on the calendar.
    And yes, despite whatever misgivings you guys might have had, India should be on the calendar.

That’s 16 rounds in total. If you’d like you can still fill the remaining 4 with whatever European rounds that might suit your fancy

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry @fihar I can’t agree with some of your views. You talk about ‘commercial importance’ and ‘markets’ – these are not how races should be chosen. Europe has been the centre of F1 for a reason – most of the teams and technical expertise are there; and making them travel all over the world for an intense 8 month period is hardly fair.

Countries like the UK, USA, France, Germany, Italy, Brazil, etc have a grass roots motorsports heritage: thriving kart series, low-level Formula Ford, Renault, etc series plus well-supported feeder series like Formula 3, or Renault 3.5.

Then there is the morality of being in some places. Why F1 in China, with its terrible human right record? More people are executed in China each year than the rest of the world put together. Russia? With its antiquated views on gay people. Why is F1 even setting foot there?

And we see empty grandstands in Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and Turkey. So the fan base is clearly not there.

I’m not saying have every race in Europe. But at least put them in places which have half an interest and commitment to motorsport. I’d rather F1 be in Africa than some of the Far East – there is a lot of grass roots rallying going on in many countries.

And two races in the USA and Brazil – why not?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s a WORLD Championship. Having to hop all over the world kinda goes with the territory.
    And hardly fair? Are you kidding me? Abu Dhabi has an air-conditioned pit garage. People get mugged at gunpoint in Interlagos. Yeah, I think they’re miserable having to go to Yas Marina every single year.

Yes, that’s actually a good point. Single-seaters in particular isn’t a huge thing in Asia. Touring Cars and GT are aplenty, and Moto GP too is pretty huge in Southeast Asia but not single-seaters.
    That still doesn’t mean that there’s no interest in F1.

What happened to F1 should stay above politics though? I’m pretty sure it’s not in FIA’s guidebook to tell how governments should govern their countries.

I honestly don’t remember ever seeing empty grandstands in both Abu Dhabi. Bahrain’s been hit by political instability and it did improve now it’s a night race.
    Still, ridiculously expensive ticket prices doesn’t go well with an economical crisis.

But Sepang and Malaysia both have interest and commitment to motorsport. What, you think Mercedes would have gotten where they are now if Petronas hasn’t been such a great partner?
    And V8 Supercars is racing in Malaysia next year too not to mention Formula E.
    China has their own Formula E Team, annually held the Macau Grand Prix since God knows when and has been running Formula Pilota China since the 2010s.
    The Singapore Grand Prix, even if the race itself is slightly processional has always been a great event to attend even if the country has zero motorsport presence.

Again, I’m resigned to the fact that Europe will always the center to F1 but that doesn’t mean F1 should orbit themselves around European rounds.
    German has a strong history of motorsport but there are far better place to race in than Nurburgring or Hockenheim. Or Catalunya.

All I’m saying is, the World in F1 World Championship has to mean something.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do think it is unfortunate that F1 is visiting countries with poor human rights records, but this is hardly a new phenomenon. It has raced in Perón’s Argentina, Franco’s Spain, Salazar’s Portugal, Brazil when it was under a military dictatorship, Apartheid South Africa, heck, even F1’s pre-war counterpart had rounds in Nazi Germany, which only increased their sense of superiority given the fact that Mercedes and Auto Union were virtually unstoppable at the time.

Marco Freire
    Participant

I think it has to be a mixture of grass roots and new territory. Formula One is a world championship, and I for one am happy that the calendar is not like it used to be pre-2008- when 75% of the rounds were in Europe and 5 or 6 rounds were in other places in the world. I think racing in China with its terrible human rights record is not only dreadful, but it also hasn’t worked out either. Sure, China is a massive market- but a race in Hong Kong, I think would strike the best possible compromise between not racing on the Chinese mainland and being present in the Chinese market. In situations like that nowadays, where F1 needs to be present in more places around the world (such as Africa), but with the 5 most important grass-roots Western European rounds (Monaco, Italy, Britain, Germany, and France) immune from any kind of removal from the calendar.

I think there should only be one race in that area between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore- and since Singapore is the better event, Malaysia should go. That market is too overstuffed, in my opinion. And Simtek- don’t forget Mussolini’s Italy, either…

Girts
    Participant

I agree about the “mixture of grass roots and new territory”. Basically I have nothing against most of the new circuits and I believe that the calendar is pretty balanced at the moment. Even the Bahrain GP looks more or less acceptable, particularly as a night race. However, it would not be good to lose any more classic tracks and Monza should obviously be kept at all costs. The same could be said about Monaco, Silverstone, Montreal, Spa, Suzuka, Melbourne and probably a couple of other venues.

I have never been a fan of Shanghai International Circuit and the Russian Grand Prix is probably the worst addition to the calendar ever. The “action” was incredibly dull last year, the race itself blatantly breaches FIA rules by spreading political propaganda and Russian authorities have more than once shown disrespect for racers. Russian fans deserve their own race but the FIA should demand certain changes to the circuit and the organisers’ behaviour.

Michal
    Participant

I would scrap those races with zero or artificial atmosphere. Firstly I would drop Russia (Valencia is like Spa in comparison), Abu Dhabi (the most artificial venue on the calendar) and Catalunya (the most anti-racing track in F1, good for testing but very bad for racing). Some time ago I would like to drop Hungaroring as well but seeing Asian expansion I changed my opinion. Bahrain also seems to like Pirelli/DRS era.

Melbourne – Sepang – Shanghai – Sakhir – Jerez(?) – Monaco – Montreal – A1-Ring – Paul Ricard – Silverstone – Nurburgring – Hungaroring – Spa – Monza – Singapore – Suzuka – Mexico – Austin – Interlagos

beneboy
    Participant

I’d keep Suzuka, Spa, Monza, Interlagos, COTA, Montreal and Albert Park.
    I’d bring back Istanbul, and add Le Mans (the WEC layout) and Laguna Seca. If the Circuit of Wales turns out to be as good as it looks I’d add that too.

Most other circuits F1 uses are pretty bland, mostly a mixture of generic Tilke tracks and butchered classics that don’t really excite me. Malaysia and China are probably the best of the remaining “new” circuits, and probably the only two I’d keep. Silverstone can be great when it rains, but is generally a lot more fun to race than it is to watch. Monaco should have been dropped years ago, or turned into an F1 TT, it’s impossible to race there in a modern race car.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.