F1

Different kinds of engines under the current formula

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Marco Freire
    Participant

The current engine formula for Formula One is, as everyone knows a 1.6L V6 hybrid engine format. Personally, I don’t agree with the engines having to be V6’s. I feel as though there needs to be more engine variety within this 1.6L hybrid engine formula. To add more color to F1, why not make some cars sound different from others again? How do you feel about that? What would your opinions be on that matter?

I feel that the face-value engine rules should be the current 1.6L hybrid formula, but not being restricted to V6’s- a whole number with a maximum of 8 cylinders or 3 rotors (Rotary engines are banned in F1 and have been since 1982; what a pity) should be the case- that would allow manufacturers to experiment more, like they can in the WEC.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Well, they could allow less than V6 – so if someone wants to develop say a V4, inline 4 or straight 6, why not? But that spend would be on the engine manufacturers; there would have to be a cost cap so that runaway speculative R&D isn’t paid for by the smaller teams buying customer engines. Opening up rotaries would be interesting.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.