F1

Does F1 need a focal race?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    NinjaBadger
    Participant

I’m just want to ask something I happened to think about during the 24hrs.

Does F1 have anything like the 24hr Le Mans? By which I mean a landmark location/race. Somewhere (almost) unique to F1 that shows-off/tests the capabilities of both cars and drivers, and a race you feel everyone is working towards. Indycar has Indianapolis, WEC has Circuit de la Sarthe, Isle of Man Mountain Course, Nurburgring…

So what does F1 have to compare? Many people would point out Monaco. And they’d probably be right. Hell, it was seen as part of the Triple Crown. And yes, it is (somewhat) unique to F1 and really tests the ability of drivers. But I find it hard to see Monaco as THE race that fans/teams see as the main event of the F1 calendar. Yes, everyone wants to win at Monaco. But I feel that’s more to do with the historical significance of the track. Not that I mean to hate on Monaco. I love it as a track that demands something different than other tracks. A variety of tracks that offer different “personalities” is great. I just don’t see it as a track that showcases the full capabilities of the cars and/or the racing.

I guess the question I’m trying to ask is: Does F1 NEED a focal race?

Some may say yes. The idea of a “main event” in the season where everyone goes all out to bring their A-game could be appealing. An F1 event that brings more than just the one hour of qualifying, and just under two hours for the race before packing up.
    But at the same time, I assume the majority wouldn’t like to change the established format. Besides, shouldn’t the teams be bringing their A-game to every race? And why should one race get special treatment (*cough* double-points *cough*)?

I’d probably like to see a focal race in the F1 calendar. How would it differ from other races on the calendar? Maybe an extended, double header, weekend [Thur-FP1+2, Fri-FP3+quali, Sat-race1, Sun-race2]. It would allow more time for a festival-esque atmosphere to develop in/around the venue; especially between the races.
    As for the venue itself? That’s probably a different discussion.
    Or maybe I’m getting too caught up with LeMans and I’m thinking too far into it.

I’d be interested to see other opinions/viewpoints on this.

Mathers
    Participant

I’d love to see F1 get a focal point like this, but I think the nature of F1 means it’s not possible as it stands. Both the Indy 500 and Le Mans see the addition of more cars to the grid, with Indycar expanding from around 24 up to 33, and of course Le Mans has 56 cars, 34 of which usually do the other WEC rounds. The only way I could see this sort of thing work is if you added the GP2 grid to the F1 grid in the same race, then made Spa the venue, opening up both the F1 and Sportscar pitlanes, and increase the running time to 3 hours. That would be excellent in my opinion, but Manor and even the lower midfield wouldn’t agree, because they’d be no quicker than the front running GP2 drivers.

JackySteeg
    Participant

It’s a very interesting point. A centerpiece race is something that I’ve always thought F1 lacked compared to other championships, but perhaps the difference is that the IndyCar Series and the WEC are effectively championships formed as a supplement to the Indy 500 and Le Mans, almost as a way of giving the drivers and teams something to do for the rest of the year. It’s difficult to explain. Of course, races like Indy and Le Mans did not become legendary overnight and if Formula 1 did want to have a focal race then it couldn’t be forced.

To be honest, though, I don’t think Formula 1 needs a centerpiece race because the championship IS the centerpiece. It’s what the teams are all thinking of when they design and test their cars, and having a focal race would probably cheapen the championship, in the same way that the Indy 500 and Le Mans cheapen their respective championships. A few months ago Anthony Davidson said he’d rather win Le Mans than defend his world championship. Imagine if Hamilton said the same thing about Monaco.

My other concern is that if Formula 1 did choose to make one race more special than the rest, it would almost certainly end up going to the highest bidder, which would almost certainly be Abu Dhabi.

Bernie thinks it should be somewhere in the middle East on a new Tilkedrome with nothing doubled but points :)

ben
    Participant

well they did try the double points last yr which tried to make abu dhabi the focal race which didnt go so good. i think F1 needs to focus on being a sport again rather than a show. its a championship thats become too much of an exhibition lately.

sorry for going abit off topic couldnt help myself lol

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

In the past, certain ‘hallmark’ events did actually run longer, e.g. Spa, Monza, Reims etc. Usually they were faster tracks that would have been over sooner. With other GPs being 300kms, these would be 450kms, yet still count for the same points. ‘European GP’ was a title that would rotate through these races each year.

There’s no doubting that the Monaco GP is the ‘special race’, as it doesn’t pay to be on the calendar and still has its own TV broadcast etc. In a modern context, it still runs for almost 2 hours; you could make it full distance (90 laps) and make Monza 450kms to also run 2 hours, as ‘special races’ – but you’re right in that it would be up for sale and we would simply be subjected to 2 hours of Abu Dhabi as the finale!

If not 450 kms (too long for Silverstone and Spa, over 2 hours), what about 400kms/250miles or 384kms/240miles? Regular races at 3/4 of the ‘classic’ events, Monza, Monaco, Silverstone, Spa. Monaco (75 laps/1:45, 90 laps/2:00), Monza (66 or 69 laps, 1:45-1:50), Silverstone (65 laps, 1:50), Spa (55 laps, 1:50) anyone :D? If they need more fuel.. 133kgs, in line with the normal rules..

dragoll
    Participant

While I get your premise, I think F1 as a concept is that every race is a focal point. The glitz and glamour of Monaco, the sunny lake side drive of Albert Park, the Island get away of Canada, the Shanghai smog, and the Oil money of Abu Dhabi are all focal points on the F1 calendar.

Although, I think the problem with running F1 cars longer than nearly 2 hours like they run today, is that they just aren’t built to run for long distances, they’ll fall apart.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Having the Indianapolis 500 and the 24 Hours of Le Mans certainly does help their respective championships, and I don’t think that it would be possible to have these championships without these marquee events. Formula 1 technically already has one in the Monaco Grand Prix, but nowadays, it is seen as neutered, processional and some have even called for it to be dropped from the calendar, and I don’t agree with those comments.

I still believe that Monaco is the one race which springs to everybody’s mind when they think of F1, in exactly the same way as Le Mans and the Indy 500 is the one race which springs to mind for their respective championships. I do feel however that Formula 1 should be doing much, much more to preserve the status of the Monaco Grand Prix, and it needs to be more important to the teams, drivers and fans. I suggested on this site before that doubling the length of the race and awarding double points would be a good way to start, as it is similar to what happens in the WEC and in IndyCar. What is also the case in those championships is that arguably winning those races are more difficult than winning the championships themselves, so perhaps that would also help. People remember Dario Franchitti more for winning the 500 three times, as opposed to winning the championship four times. I also feel that the term ‘Monaco Grand Prix Winner’ should be thrown about more.

However, another point is that MotoGP, junior categories (F3 aside) and Formula E as well as the majority of touring car championships don’t have these marquee events, and they seem to do just fine.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.