F1

Drivers need larger numbers on their cars

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Atticus
    Participant

Just a quick thought.

The drivers having their own race numbers is a great idea to help them distinguish themselves, have an identity, create a marketing tool (see #LH44).

But I feel like the numbers cannot really fulfill another primary goal, i. e. helping the viewers see who is who a lot more clearly, unless they become, simply, larger.

Currently, they are tiny bits of paints on the cars that hardly helps in most cases.

Thoughts?

juicedtin
    Participant

I agree, I think it would also help fill empty space on the cars with the lack of sponsorship these days.

sam3110
    Participant

I also agree, I’d say they should be on the sidepod, the most part of the rear wings endplate, the side of the cockpit or the engine cover, but they need to be at least as big as, for instance, the Claro logo on the Sauber, or the Infiniti logo on the Red Bull

Atticus
    Participant

@sam3110 I think either the sidepod or the engine cover will do – one clearly visible and large area is enough also taking into account that we would strip the (remaining) sponsors from one of the most, if not the most coveted space on the car.

Also, if I were a rule-maker, I’d prescribe the size of the number only and leave its design to the team designers (bar, perhaps, that there must be a uniform black outline to the number – with a prescribed thinkness – to avoid the loophole of a team choosing the background colour as its font colour and simply make the “number” invisible). I think this is important.

sam3110
    Participant

Well yeah I didn’t mean put it on all of those areas but I agree they need to ensure it is prominent and stands out from the background of the car.

I’d love it if the numbers were completely personalised like on the graphics when showing the drivers on the grid

Dan
    Participant

If the teams were not keen on putting numbers on the side of the car, why not put the drivers name? It last happened in 2010 with the HRT team i think, if it was introduced this year will be a bit confusing to have Felipe (Massa) & Felipe (Nasa). Especialy if you cant tell teams apart

@f1fanf1fan But they eventually replaced it with “It Could Be YOU”…..so even HRT fell out of keeness of doing that.

Atticus
    Participant

@f1fanf1fan It’s because a maximum of two-digit number takes less space than a name (or it could be larger on an area of the same size). …And then there’s this year’s Williams issue, yeah.

I wonder if someone out of the real decision-makers actually stumble upon this topic before the start of the season (or even in-season).

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

It would probably be best to have surnames instead of first names, if used. But, I agree that numbers should be more prominent on the cars, maybe even with a regulated space for them if it doesn’t hinder space for sponsors.

Craig Woollard
    Participant

I like the way McLaren used to their thing with the names.

McLaren MP4-20

pH
    Participant

I agree that prominent numbers should be required.

I looked at my seasons overview and see that large, very prominent numbers visible from the side (on sidepods, rear wings, or sometimes on engine cover) were the norm until the early 1980’s, when some backmarkers would run some races (like ATS in 1982) without side numbers, but still with very prominent numbers on noses. These were rare exceptions.

Things started to go wrong in the early 1990’s, when the numbers moved (with few exceptions) from sidepods to rear wing sides, where their visibility depended heavily on the viewing angle. In 2000, Prost discarded with numbers entirely (the wily Prost again! :-) ), in 2002 more teams joined and things went quickly bad.

Since this was the time when I stopped following F1, I have no idea why this happened. Perhaps teams felt that everybody can recognize Schumacher and the others do not matter anyway :-).

Atticus
    Participant

@pH Thank you for the historical perspective, it really adds dimension to the topic.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@craig-o Ah yes, that was when they were between West and Vodafone as title sponsor, 2006? It’s a similar situation now.. they could have Jenson/Fernando, or Button/Alonso…. and as both are WDC it would be a nice touch to do something different at least.. but for now, I reckon they’ll keep cycling their other partners through the available spaces.

AmbroseRPM
    Participant

@IestynDavies – In 2006 McLaren used Johnnie Walker on the sidepod, the names were used when the tobacco name wasn’t allowed.

Asanator
    Participant

I don’t think bigger numbers are required at all. Drivers have always been identified by their helmets. They have a number on the top of their helmets for the on board shots, I don’t think it will make any significant difference as instead of knowing your helmets you will have to learn a bunch of numbers.

Personally I would rather learn/remember helmet designs which are far easier to see from a distance

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.