F1

Engine components

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    jonners99
    Participant

There is often grumbling around engine component limitations and how it affects the racing and stops flat out racing.

I wonder if it can be used instead to lessen the spread of the field. Change the rules so that the number of engine components available to you are based around your finishing position in the previous season’s constructors championship. The lower down the order you finish the more components you get.

The way I see it this would have the following effects:
    a) fast teams are more likely to start lower on the grid (because of penalties)
    b) slower teams can turn the engines up more which should close some of the performance gap

Negatives:
    a) a team might sandbag at the end of the season to get more engines the following year. I think this would be negated by them receiving less prize money and pissing off their staff/drivers/sponsors, but we already see underperforming teams shifting design focus to the following season.
    b) it makes the competition less pure… we’re some way away from that already with the prize money situation and DRS

What do people think?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.