F1

Engines

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    Participant

What engines do each the contenders have left in particular does Vettel have enough engines left ?

Fer no.65
    Participant

i think none of them have new engines left. Mark used his 8th today.

It’s going to be interesting because Alonso is using very old engines. Not sure about Vettel, he will have to use an old engine.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That’s the engine situation after yesterday –

WEB – 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8

ALO – 1/2, 3, 3, 2, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 7, 8, 6, 8, ?

VET – 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8

HAM – 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6, 7, 7, 8, 8

Most likely Alonso used his 8th engine for the third time in Korea. He should go back to his 2nd, 3rd or 7th on the next race (I strongly suspect he will go for the 7th on Interlagos and the 3rd on Abu Dhabi). Webber should still be alright but Hamilton and Vettel should be following Alonso’s way from now on.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Does this go part way to explaining Vettel’s disaster? Seems the RB6 is unreliable at the best of times (particularly early 2010) without having to ressurrect used engines.

Icthyes
    Participant

Alonso has two engines left, one has done one race and the other two. Incredibly, he used engine #8 four times! Very risky from Ferrari.

Hamilton has three engines left, two have done two races and the other one.

Vettel only has one engine left, engine #8 blew up yesterday and engine #6 has done three races already. Engine # 7 has already done two though so he’s going to have to use one for a 4th time which I’d be very worried about.

Webber is in the same situation as Hamilton.

(Source: http://www.f1wolf.com/2010-season)

Eggry
    Participant

@Icthyes I found an interesting thing from the site. All three teams which use Ferrari engine did 4 races per 1 engine. First Toro Rosso and then Sauber and Ferrari at the same time. and they have had no problem at all! Alonso even wins 3 of 4. I think Ferrari tested some protective engine management or collected data by using Toro Rosso and it seems like very successful.

but also Renault did 4 race per an engine one time(Kubica’s 5th engine). If Renault cooperate with Red bull, they will be OK. so I think engine reliability is not a serious issue. It’s just like some kind of luck. Like Vettel this time.

Icthyes
    Participant

Interesting find. I think they all would have been risky choices, many brought on by necessity, but they paid off. It’s not inevitable it will fail, I just wouldn’t like it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.