F1

F1 at the Olympics

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Noah
    Participant

Just something I was thinking about, with the Olympics coming to Sochi in February, and the Sochi International Street Circuit debuting on the F1 Claendar in 2014. Each driver can race for their country with their 2013 car. One weekend, Friday-Sunday. If you dont think about all the impracticalities of racing in Russia in February, I think it would be fantastic, and definitely a more practical idea in the 2016 Rio Olympics. THoughts?

f199player
    Participant

Would never happen, Olympic rules say that the athlete must play the vital role

“Frankly speaking, the concept we are having is the Games are about the competition for the athletes, not for equipment. Therefore, while having a lot of respect, they will not be included into the Olympic program.” Jacques Rogge

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Perhaps if all the cars were the same. But that was what happened with the old A1GP series… And that flopped.

andae23
    Participant

Sports that depend primarily on mechanical propulsion, such as motor sports, may not be considered for recognition as Olympic sports

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_sports

Steven
    Participant

Seems like a lot of the F1 drivers ride bikes: therefore, Rio 2016, they’ll have to borrow Interlagos for a Formula Bicycle race (unless there’s some other track in or around Rio).

Maybe they can get a bunch of those pedal-powered 911s that Hammond tested (the Ferdinand GT3 RS) and stick the F1 drivers in there. No actual cyclists, only F1 drivers in pedal Porsche around Interlagos. Imagine having to pedal with a fixed gear up those grades…

Steven
    Participant

By the way, that last post was a joke… unless you’re Jacques Rogge and this idea intrigues you. In which case, yes, it’s a real idea, but it’s mine, so I’d like to join the IOC and make sure it’s implemented correctly.

Noah
    Participant

haha Jeremy Clarckson would be so thrilled to see the 911 make its olympic debut

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.