F1

F1 competition and engines

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it just me or has F1 in the last decade or so been about 3 engines… Ferrari, Mercedes, and Renault? I know Cosworth is in the circuit but frankly it is not up to par. I think it would be more interesting to watch if there was more engine manufacturers involved in the race. Toyota had a decent engine but being in F1 proved to be too costly, same goes for BMW and Honda.

I personally think that F1 should look into this and try to make it more attractive for engine manufacturers to want to be involved in F1. Imagine if the recently retired engines came back and also some other brands joined? Imagine a Porsche or Lamborghini engined F1 car? How cool will that be?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I personally think that F1 should look into this and try to make it more attractive for engine manufacturers to want to be involved in F1.

That’s the entire point of the 2013 engine regulations.

Imagine a Porsche or Lamborghini engined F1 car? How cool will that be?

Both brands have been involved before. Neither endeavour went well.

Funkyf1
    Participant

It’s rumored than Porsche are interested in engine involvement again with the 2013 regs

Icthyes
    Participant

The last time none of these won a world championship was 1994, which was Ford’s last triumph (of curse, had they not messed up the transition into Jaguar, they might have been champions again). That’s pretty impressive/shocking when you think about it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

To Icthyes, isn’t Cosworth the same as Ford? I thought Ford bought out Cosworth once upon a time.

Icthyes
    Participant

Yes and no. Cosworth has been owned by Ford for a very long time, since Jackie Stewart’s days in fact, but the entry name has varied over time. Sometimes (like in the beginning) it was Ford-Cosworth, sometimes Ford (like in 1994), nowadays just Cosworth.

SoerenKaae
    Participant

In the interview with the guy from Cosworth that was on here a couple of days ago, he stated that supplying 1/4 of the grids cars was an optimal situation for them. So I guess from an engine manufacturers the current situation is perfect. But with the new regs for 2013 it might attract more companies as they can now actually get the chance to start at the same point as the others, and not be behind as Cosworth was when they started developing the V8 again.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So it looks like 2013 is the year where we might see fresh faces…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.