F1

F1 track/race visit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tom Padlucci
    Participant

I would like to attend an F1 race. What track is best for a spectator that does
    not want to stay in one spot in a bleacher seat. That is what track is best for
    people to wander during the race weekend and watch from different places.

In a separate question which F1 track is located in the best location for a visitor
    to see the local sights, culture and people during their visit?
    tom

Anonymous
    Inactive

Melbourne is good- enjoy.

Macca
    Participant

The Australian GP offers something called a 4 Grandstand Pass. This essentially means that you get a ticket to a different grandstand every day. When I did it I was in the Waite Stand outside turn 12 on Thursday, the Jones Stand outside turn 1 on Friday, the Brabham Stand, inside turn 1 on Saturday and the Fangio Stand on the pit straight on Sunday. Plus you can see the whole track if you go for a wander, some parts you are no more than 2-3 meters from the cars.

On track action is also amazing, I was there for the full 4 days and there was never more than a 10 minute break between events on the track.

As for location, well it is in the middle of the city of Melbourne, what more could you ask for?

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have been to four GP tracks in recent years. Spa-Franchorchamps, Monza, Silverstone and Yas Marina, and to several tracks that don’t host F1 such as Zolder, Assen, …

So here’s my idea on this; If it’s an old GP there is often one route that goes around the circuit, meaning you can walk everywhere from any entry and exit at any exit you like. This implies that for example when I go the the 6 hours of Spa this weekend, I on average walk 25km. Last year I even topped 30km. You don’t want to know how much I walk at the 24 hours of Spa.

In similar fashion at both Monza and Silverstone did I walk 19km and 23km respectively.

However at Abu Dhabi, a purpose build F1 complex with pre-designed parking spots, a well thought out transport plan, and the budget to have busses doing parking-to-track-and-back transports all day long, well, here there is no such freedom.

I was in the grandstand at the end of the second long straight. Hence I was only allowed to step onto bus B, this bus B would bring me directly to the entry of a small cage (if you like) of the circuit from which I had no access to any other part, not even the grandstand next to me. From this cage I could access one food stand, and one drink stand. Hilariously mine was rather empty whilst those in the cage next to me had a massive line.

This was my first day so then I tend to follow the rules. On saturday however I decided to sneak onto bus A (how dare I?), but I was halted right at the entry of the hill overseeing the fast T3-4-5. Despite the fact I paid triple the amount for my grandstand ticket I was denied entry to the bronze admission area.

So therefore, I think it’s safe to assume tracks like Bahrein, China, Malaysia work in the same way whereas Hochenheim, Spa, Silverstone, Monza are more open. I’d expect COTA to be the exception to the ‘rule’ and Monaco the other way around as an exception.

Above is mostly speculation based on my experience at several tracks.

Of all the tracks to visit, for whatever reason, I still always recommend Spa-Franchorchamps. The only downside is getting home after the race as traffic is a nightmare.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@flatstix – Spa 24 hour??- more details please.

As Macca points out you can do the daily option of grandstands in Melbourne and also with hospitality as well. Its a great event and much to do at the track. If you are looking for culture as well, I am not the person to ask. 4 of us went to Malaysia and went airport to hotel, hotel to track for 3 day then home. Went last year as well but did go to KL city for a look- track was better :)

Singapore also has tickets to change grandstand each day. Its also in the city so accommodation is close, unlike places like China (haven’t been but a mate just come back- said hard work in & out of track, and everyone out to take a dollar from you). Singapore is a beautiful city/country and I loved it- maybe I did get some culture there lol. Expensive but awesome.

Japan has a ‘roaming day’ on Friday which seems to be more popular so you can test seating spots for the next one. Not that one gets there each year. I am sure others doing the same at other circuits.

I have been to a few overseas races and when you talk to team crew or journalists they always say they love races close to the city- Melbourne, Singapore, Montreal, Monaco. But that’s just as its easy access for them as opposed to say China, which apparently is hard work. For them its just another race track.

For me next I would love Spa & Montreal – not the easiest to get to though from where I am.

What race where you hoping to get to?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@flatstix – Spa 24 hour??- more details please.

What do you mean? It’s the biggest GT race in the world.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@flatstix – I know that :) But more details on your trip about where you stayed, good places around the area to visit (good old fashion pubs or something) but as you seemed to get around everywhere what was the best places around the track to get to and watch and what was maybe one to miss (too far, not a great view etc)

Info like that others can use for planning their future races and it why I like to hear from people like yourself that has been to Spa, quite a few times it seems and can pass that on. I have been to a few races and like to share to make things easier and better for the next F1F. I planned most of my Japanese GP visit from info in the forum- helped me so much!!

Tom Padlucci
    Participant

Thanks to all that replied. This is the kind of discussion I was hoping to start.
    I and it appears like I others are looking for which races to visit, where to watch once we arrive at these races and what to see off track before and after the races.

I have been to F1 at 3 different tracks over many years and hope to attend more.
    I attended F1 at Watkins Glen in New York USA in the 60s, and a race on the streets of Long Beach California USA. Both of these events are no longer held so not much I can share.
    Last September I went to Monza and watched qualifying in the pouring rain so no real good information to share other than plan ahead and buy tickets early.
    I could not get into the actual race as it was sold out.
    For the Italian GP last year I stayed in Milano and took the train to Monza.
    Lots to see and do in Milano including visiting the Ferrari store and getting close views of actual F1 Ferraris on display. This worked out pretty well but the transportation to/from Monza was very crowded and difficult but worth the trouble.

Please keep the great info. coming.

Tom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.