F1

Top 10 current drivers

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    David-A
    Participant

Remember, Ferrari had a much better car last year, yet it took an EBD ban for Alonso to win. And that was his only win of the season.

And also some shoddy Red Bull pitwork on both cars that were leading Alonso.

What a typical steriotype in F1. Simply because it rained, does that make his win a fluke? The Ferrari was probably the sixth best car that race weekend. Rain is a car equalizer.

Hamilton won Fuji 07 and Britain 08. Vettel won Italy 08 and China 09. All wet races, all great victories when the cars were “equalised”.

Pamphlet
    Participant

@david-a That too.

@Kingshark

What a typical steriotype in F1. Simply because it rained, does that make his win a fluke?

Yes. Ferrari had the second best car in the rain and both Checo and Sauber threw the race, via a very late final stop and Perez’ mistake. Rain is not nearly as much of an equalizer as you might think. If it was, we’d have seen Hamilton (best or second best wet weather driver on the grid right now) win.

Mind you, I am not an Alonso fan myself; but there’s absolutely no one on the current grid that has had a victory anywhere near as great as his in Malaysia, apart from maybe Button in Canada 11 and Raikkonen in Japan 05.

Schumacher’s had a good few (in his first career). As has Raikkonen. As has Hamilton. As has Vettel. It’s luck of the draw. Alonso’s had plenty of it lately. His performance in Australia was much more impressive.

matt90
    Participant

So the scoring was done on the F1 points system? How come? Surely it should just be an average of the scores, which would be best with scoring 10-1.

Kingshark
    Participant

And also some shoddy Red Bull pitwork on both cars that were leading Alonso.

Uh, Vettel finished 20 seconds behind Alonso that race and it even took Horned to stop Webber from overtaking him for 2nd. Vettel had misarable pace at the end of that race.

About Vettel, Hamilton, and Raikkonen having a good race. I never denied this, however, I just feel that Alonso, more often, has mind-blowing drives. That’s just my opinion.

magon4
    Participant

@matt90, you suggest giving number 1 10 points and number 10 1?
    i could try that.
    but that wouldn’t be a fair system either…

David-A
    Participant

Uh, Vettel finished 20 seconds behind Alonso that race and it even took Horned to stop Webber from overtaking him for 2nd. Vettel had misarable pace at the end of that race.

Vettel would have lost the race anyway, since he had a KERS issue in the final stint. He was leading the race until the stops, with Webber second until his botched stop.

About Vettel, Hamilton, and Raikkonen having a good race. I never denied this, however, I just feel that Alonso, more often, has mind-blowing drives. That’s just my opinion.

Fair enough, even though I respectfully disagree.

@magon4 Why wouldn’t that be a fair system?

magon4
    Participant

the idea of 8th place getting 3 times as many points as 10th place…

I prefer to do it the same way, but start at 5 and go up to 15 (13 for 2nd place, 12 3rd place and so on)…

Kingshark
    Participant

Magon, sorting the drivers by average position given would make matters too confusing after every time someone new has voted. We would have to re-calculate everything. It’s much easier to use the usual point system.

David Moorhead
    Participant

1. Alonso
    2. Vettel
    3. Raikkonen
    4. Button
    5. Hamilton
    6. Rosberg
    7. Perez
    8. Grosjean
    9. Di Resta
    10. Schumacher

matt90
    Participant

Kingshark, but why does being voted the best earn you 7 more points? It makes sense in a race, as a driver has to work for it and deserves to be rewarded with more points, but this is just subjective voting.

Kingshark
    Participant

New vote, new score.

1. Alonso – 593
    2. Vettel – 414
    3. Hamilton – 339
    4. Raikkonen – 283
    5. Button – 274
    6. Rosberg – 181
    7. Webber – 116
    8. Schumacher – 105
    9. Perez – 115
    10. Kovalainen – 29
    11. Di Resta – 25
    12. Glock – 6
    13. Grosjean – 5
    14. Vergne – 2 (one ninth place)
    15. Kobayashi – 2 (two tenth places)
    16. Senna – 1
    16. Ricciardo – 1

@Matt90 – This is just a fun competition. If you wish to keep score by average positions, than feel free to do so. When Alonso is voted as best driver on a certain someones list, as he has been all but one time so far; than he deserves the most points then anyone else. Is that really so, complicated?

matt90
    Participant

I never said it was complicated, I was just wondering why you used a points system that wasn’t linear. Certainly not knocking you, it’s good to see that somebody could be bothered to put it together.

raymondu999
    Participant

@magon4

The median age of the voters is 20 (!!!), and first season median is 1998.

Fantastic! Glad to know that I’m just about perfectly average :P

Btw – as I understood it we’re meant to put up our first FULL season of F1 watching. My first season is 95 or 96 – but my first *full* season is 98.

To be fair, @Kingshark – you don’t have to keep average positions, just assign the P1 slot 10 points, and it goes down to 1 point for P10. Non-votes get 0 points.

Rain nowadays (unfortunately) is not The Great Big Equalizer anymore. If a car is quick in the rain, track back to Friday and Saturday (if dry). They will have demonstrated certain characteristics that distanced them from the field.

Look back to Friday in Malaysia for example. There were two teams which (1 somewhat surprisingly, 1 not so surprising) which were suffering from overheating front tyres. Guess which two teams? (clue: One is run by a Swiss gentleman, the other is a red-coloured Italian team).

Silverstone 08 – there was one car which could repeatedly kill the track on power out of the last corner, and out of Vale (and Club), while being only slightly above average in Maggotts/Becketts.

Canada 2011 – there was again one car which was consistently losing traction after a few laps, not due to degradation but due to overheating rears bloating up pressures in the rear tyres (hot means expansion). Subsequently there was one guy in the race who could get on a set of tyres and just be immediately on the pace, while his rivals who came in sometimes one or two laps later found that it was still to early for them to really get grip with their tyres.

I’m just using these 3 to illustrate examples – I’m by no means saying these are the only 3 to be such.

Nowadays rain perfromance is very much dictated (though to a lesser extent than the dry) by the car and how it handles in the wet. No driver these days has been consistently good in the wet – and usually, even these so called current-day “rainmasters” have also made big bad booboos in the rain. Alonso doing a glorious 720 rotation in Malaysia 2010 qualifying for example, or spinning out and crashing on his own in Spa 2010. Hamilton doing 3 or 4 360s in China 2009. Vettel spinning out in Malaysia 2009. Button horrifyingly average in the wet parts of Malaysia 2009, and through the whole of China 2009.

Viewing 13 posts - 46 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.