F1

F1’s most prophetic quotes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    the_sigman
    Participant

Which are the quotes by drivers or F1 personalities that predicted the future, and at the time of the quote no one knew that it would be true, or what happened afterwards was an irony?

For me, one that comes to mind is Jochen Ridnt’s one about Lotus 72. ”I will either be champion or be killed with this car.” Both proved to be true.

jaapgrolleman
    Participant

Contrary, but stil.
    Peter Warr said, before Nigel Mansell won his first Grand Prix: Nigel Mansell will never win a Grand Prix as long as he’s got a hole in his arse. Nigel went on to win 31.

Loup Garou
    Participant

Eddie Jordan said just before the Belgian GP this year “I don’t see how Vettel can beat Hamilton”.

andae23
    Participant

Maybe not a quote, more of an impression: when Jackie Stewart first sat in a mock-up of the Tyrrell 001, he was not very impressed. The chassis became one of the most successful cars in F1 history.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Flavio briatore saying that Jenson Button would never be a great driver because he looked too like a pop star, he now has many wins and a world championship (button has, not flavio, he wouldn’t be a good driver :-) )

David-A
    Participant
    JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

Vettel once said/thought that after driving an F1 car for the first time that he didn’t think he’d be able to do it, and that it was for real men.

I guess that makes him a very manly man.

paulgilb
    Participant

Martin Brundle in the early part of Brazil 2008: “I’m not sure Vettel’s got a car capable of threatening Hamilton for the whole race” (or words to that effect).

David-A
    Participant

Anonymous
    Inactive

A spooky one: If you see the film “Senna”, pay attention to the part when he visits his girlfriend Xuxa in the kids program. She asks him “what do you want for the new year?”, he whispers something in her ear (maybe he said a kiss?), and then Xuxa starts kissing him on the cheek and says: Happy New year 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993… ” and exactly there she stops. We know what happened in 1994.

Simon
    Participant

I seem to remember James Allen saying Jenson Button would be a contender for the title in 2009, even before the first test. A lot of people put bets on and made a pretty penny

matt90
    Participant

I nearly put a bet on because I believed the rumours that the car would be blisteringly quick. I missed out on a return of 100:1 by not getting around to it.

Max Jacobson
    Participant

@omarr-pepper also, Sid Watkins saying Senna should retire with him and go fishing after Ratzenberger died. Of course, what happened the next day will never be forgotten.

Not so much a prophetic quote that, but a slightly eerie one.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Graham hill I believe it was once attended a celebration with Colin Chapman with a cake in the shape of of the race car (I’m not sure which) and proceeded to cut a wheel off as the first slice in comment of the inherent unreliability and danger of the car.

A spooky one: If you see the film “Senna”, pay attention to the part when he visits his girlfriend Xuxa in the kids program. She asks him “what do you want for the new year?”, he whispers something in her ear (maybe he said a kiss?), and then Xuxa starts kissing him on the cheek and says: Happy New year 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993… ” and exactly there she stops. We know what happened in 1994.

Yep. This is the one that always sticks with me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.