F1

Ferrari Shark Fin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James_mc
    Participant

I was flicking through the album from the Hungarian Grand Prix on The Guardian’s website (a lot of good pictures, see the one of Rosberg!); and I noticed in the picture of Fernando Alonso, picture 7, that the non-F-duct shark fin of the Ferrari seems to be transparent:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/gallery/2010/aug/01/formulaone-motorsports#/?picture=365364206&index=6

It might just be the angle and the reflection are so exact that it looks like a full wing in reflection, but could it be that the shark fin is transparent? I’ve not seen it elsewhere so I’m presuming it’s just the co-incidental reflection

Lord Stig
    Participant

It is definitely a reflection. Carbon fiber is definitely not transparent, though the thickness of the paint is super thin. So if it was a transparent such as Lexan or another polycarbonate there is a possibility you could get a bit of see through in the correct lighting conditions.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It would be awesome if they could make transparent carbon fibre, though … who else would like a see-though Formula 1 car?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.