F1

FIA to clean the left hand side of the grid?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Apparently espnf1 is reporting Lewis will request the FIA to clean that side of the race track, is this something that is a normal? I can’t seem to remember hearing about this being done.

http://en.espnf1.com/usa/motorsport/story/95215.html

Anonymous
    Inactive

It was post qualifying on the BBC Lewis said this. Eddie Jordan said something about some starts on it over night or something to that effect. Is this regular procedure? Or would it just be a one off?

Tomsk
    Participant

At least Webber took some responsibility, and did some starts from the left hand side at the end of practice this morning. He said they’ve got it as even as possible (easily said from the clean side of the grid! And he sounds happy enough with 3rd.)
    What’s Lewis expecting the FIA to do – send Jean Todt down there with a dustpan and brush?

Fer no.65
    Participant

Don’t they clean the grid at Singapore? I remember in 2008 and 2009 the grid was very dusty and there was a massive dust cloud when they started, but in recent editions it’s been better.

James
    Participant

@fer-no65 I think this was requested in the drivers meeting, but it required all drivers consenting to this. However, one driver didnt and the grid therefore wasnt cleaned up. I dont know or remember who it was, but you’d imagine it would have been the pole sitter.

raymondu999
    Participant

@fer-no65 yes, they clean up the grid using massive sweeper mobiles in Singapore.

@jamesf1 correct they need to be pretty much unanimous. Which is why these discussions are always held before Friday – so you stop people’s selfish egos from trying to give themselves the clean side. An example is when they decided on Thursday in Malaysia 2011 to switch the pole side to the inside of the T1 hairpin.

James
    Participant

I can assure you they did not clean up the grid in Singapore. I remember Martin Brundle talking about it on his grid walk one year. It has to be 100% agreed between the drivers

raymondu999
    Participant

@jamesf1 I was there when they were doing the cleaning in Singapore, for both 2010 and 2011. An activity which (despite being at the circuit in 2008 and 2009 as well) I didn’t see previously.

Not to mention that the track was visibly a duller color on the even side in both 2008 and 2009 – and there was a massive dust plume that came up. Why is it not possible that the drivers agreed that from 2010 onwards the grid should be cleaned?

Maybe I’ll take photos of them for you next year?

James
    Participant

My apologies, I meant for the 2008 and 2009 grid, as was mentioned above.

Ben
    Participant
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.