F1

FOM considering live streaming?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    W-K
    Participant

Just got round to reading all the other stuff besides race and testing news and found this.
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130525/F1/130529825

Personally I would welcome it, but it may mean the end of being able to watch later at your prefered time, i.e. no BBC IPlayer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Probably for the low low price of more than you can afford.

W-K
    Participant

Well I can hope, I cannot justify the cost of getting Sky sport F1 via Virgin. And I cannot receive any Satellite here. And I am not going to pay £9.99/day for Sky’s TV Now. So I am hoping for any other cheaper option.
    The best I am doing at the moment is driving 35 miles each way to my sons, but that is only meant to be a temporary detachment, that has lasted 16 months so far.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

They should also consider HQ historic race uploads onto YouTube, instead of just putting the hammer down on people that upload race clips and then doing nothing in the way of providing content themselves.

HamiltonWDC08
    Participant

I live in Canada so I miss about 10-12 races when their live so I would like the option to live stream the race at any time, as for YT, the problem is the actual owners of those vids claiming they copy and pasted without giving any credit.

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is exactly what I’ve been hope for. I wonder if FOM are starting to get annoyed at the liberties that the broadcasters are taking with the World Feed & FOM’s extra channels, i.e. sticking their own overlays on it every now and then, cutting away from the feed to show their own replays etc, in a very inconsistent way, along with staring and stopping the extra channels at random.

I’ve always liked the “vanilla” FOM feeds and would hope that FOM use their online streams to promote this, with commentary from FOM stalwarts such as Bob Constanduros and maybe John Watson? (As Ben Edwards is now at the BBC). What they could do, providing the support races rights are included in the F1 package too, is do what f1broadcasting has been suggesting all along and just broadcast a day-long stream of the whole day’s events. The World Feed and team radio etc. currently starts around an hour before the FOM logo runs on race-day, yet none of the broadcasters cut into this that early, as they’re running their own features.

What FOM should do is (that’s assuming that they would do their own features too, which is usually something they save for the season reviews), is make such features available in the week before the race, so the viewer can watch them at their leisure, and then on race-day itself just broadcast the whole day *live* from start to finish, including pre-race national anthem, pre-race team radio, press conferences, etc. (And of course the pre-race features could be all packaged up on the Season Review Blu Ray at the end of the year too).

I’ve noticed that while FOM tend to take ages to do stuff, when they finally do it, the finished product is excellent, like the switch to HD (42mbps capture with native 5.1 surround sound).

I would predict that this may come in say in 2015, where they may take the opportunity to re-do the overlays (and maybe even the whole production style – making my predictions above completely useless lol) as well too. Finally by 2015, technology will have improved to an extent that they could offer reliable 1080p live streaming, as well as blu-ray quality 720p streaming even.

I love FOM and they’re style of production, F1Digital+ was a masterpiece, and if FOM can get the price right and introduce full, uninterrupted “vanilla” coverage online, along with extras such as the ability to choose your own camera angles (if you wanted to), or choose any of the drivers to watch onboard with, and more live timing data (such as live tyre data for example), then FOM would be on to an absolute winner in my book. I’m glad that they’re even considering it though at least, i’ve been predicting it for a while.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’ve noticed that while FOM tend to take ages to do stuff, when they finally do it, the finished product is excellent, like the switch to HD (42mbps capture with native 5.1 surround sound).
    I’ve noticed that, too. Given the quality of the finished product, I suspect that their rationale is to wait for the method to be refined rather than jump on the bandwagon straight away and get let down by the kinks.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I suspect that given you can view the last couple of years race highlight videos and pole laps on the Official F1 site already, they would probably host classic races on there. Of course they’d have to do a deal with the individual broadcasters for commentary. I suspect they would probably host the previous season reviews there, to start off with at least.

W-K
    Participant

Talking of the sound and commentary. I would like to see this on separate channels, so that if the commentator starts rambling, or doing meaningless repeats or interviews the commentary could be lowered or muted and I could listen to the engines, gear changes and tyre squeals etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@W_K
    Well that’s what a lot of broadcasters on the continent do, also FOM love having a commentary/announcer-free track on their season reviews too, so I suspect they’d continue it for live streaming, assuming the bandwidth could support it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.