F1

Good excuses to avoid people on a race weekend

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

@realracer You could tell her that while you think she is the most beautiful creature to walk the Earth, you also appreciate having some ‘me’ time and that retaining individuality is the key to a successful relationship.

Or threaten to dump her.

john
    Participant

@SamS Nice one Im going to practise my look. I never thought of that before, Thanks.

plushpile
    Participant

Living in Aus most of the races are around 10pm on a Sunday night, no need for an excuse at that time…

realracer

@AndrewTanner LOL threaten to dump her, then I will be a prisoner in my own home.

S.J.M
    Participant

Being single stops any girlfriend/boyfriend issues, and certainly makes early races like Aussie/Japanese GPs less hassle. If I wasnt single, 1 offer and 1 offer alone stands. Watch it with me, or dont. But the Race will be on TV and I will be watching it (and any footy that follows lol)

In general, I’ll just be upfront with people and plan the night before around a race, so the early starts means that if I go out, I wont drink and drive home earlier then usual. Most of the time we dont meet up on sundays anyway so watching the race is never compromised.

Estesark
    Participant

@realracer How about telling her that you are going to watch Formula One? My girlfriend has no interest in the sport but still understands that I want to watch it. She even accepts it when I wake up at horrible o’clock to watch one of the east Asian races. I feel for you if your girlfriend isn’t as accommodating :)

I’ve found that just generally not having a life is quite effective…though I understand how that may not be so applicable to most of you :P

realracer

@Estesark She will kill me if she see’s this, if your women understands you watching F1 then my girlfriend can learn a few things fro her.

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

I find it helpful to “train” people who I think might be tempted to disturb me during a race. Not only do I tell them that I’m planning on watching the Blob Grand Prix at Something, but I tell them why I need other people not to do certain things during the broadcast (it’s amazing how many people accept “my internet friends depend on me being able to discuss this” as complete justification). That way, they understand enough not to disturb me unless absolutely essential (or they have something intelligent and race-related to add) and to expect a certain amount of… …odd… …behaviour. Occasionally I’m lucky enough to convert someone to motor racing, and then there’s the bonus of having someone to discuss it with afterwards!

Of course, for this technique to work, one must be prepared to learn about other people’s hobbies, at least enough that you don’t commit an equivalent faux pas around them. And to generally treat friends and family reasonably well, so that they’re happy to oblige.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

@sjm Yeahhhh, I learnt my lesson about not drinking heavily on a GP weekend a couple of years ago. I had got rather merry (and ill) off Southern Comfort, slept through Melbourne qualifying and felt like hell for the rest of the day. I was beside myself with fury.

S.J.M
    Participant

@AndrewTanner that almost happened last year, staying round a friends on their sofa after a night of excessive booze almost cost me and a friend (who had the floor to sleep on) the qualy, luckily we somehow woke up and got the tv on literally as as the Q1 greenlight went on. It was a close call, and one that made me how I am now with regards to booze before an early F1 race

Joey-Poey
    Participant

My girlfriend simply understands I have to get certain races in. F1 always being among them. On rare occasion she’ll even sit and watch with me. Besides, if your girlfriend can’t allow you 3 hours on a weekend to do what you want, that’s some serious control issues! ;) She does have the entire rest of the week to spend time with you.

ross bell
    Participant

when i first started watching when someone asked me to do somehting i would always find it really akward to find an excuse because it was blatently obvious i was lying, but now everyone understands, and i manage to find my way out of work to watch it!

sato113
    Participant

i swear everytime I’m at home with the parents on a sunday gp weekend, the race will just be starting when my mum shouts ‘come help me cook lunch please!’. I can’t really say no can I, it’d just seem rude. she understands that I love F1 but the races always happen around lunch time. (which is quite an important family meal in the UK).

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is one way in which it’s actually useful living in US: there usually aren’t people calling me up to do stuff at 8:00 am on a Sunday. However, during those times when there might be a conflict, those who know me well know I’m not available. That goes for practice sessions (which I take time off work for when necessary), qualifying, and the race, no matter what time they start. Most people know to just ask me, “There’s not a race thing going on then, is there?” ;-)

I agree with others who have encouraged you to just be honest about it. It can occasionally pique people’s curiosity about what it is that’s so unmissable!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.