F1

Highest Number Of Winners In Field?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Joey-Poey
    Participant

So with some of the talk this season being about the depth of talent in F1 nowadays and the fact that 5 champions are driving at once, I began to think about how many race winners there are in the field. If I’m not mistaken, there are ten race winners currently having driven in a race this season (and I think the only one who hasn’t driven in every race is Jarno Trulli). That would mean at some point around 41% of the field were race winning drivers.

So my question to you stats people is: what’s the highest percentage of F1 race winning drivers to have started a championship race?

And to lengthen the discussion: would you guys feel the field with the highest percentage represents the most talented/challenging field of drivers in F1 history or would you argue for that belonging to some other era/season/race?

Enigma
    Participant

There were 12 in 2009, and we only had 20 drivers back then, which makes it 60%. Not quite sure about the record, but 2009 has surely got to be close to it.

It’s hard to say: does having so many champions/winners mean we have an incredibly talented field or is it because noone stands out for being great? Hard to say and as ever, hard to compare different eras.

David-A
    Participant

There were also 12 winners in 2008, with Coulthard on the grid and Webber yet to win.

Enigma
    Participant

Yes, but only after Monza. In 2009 it was only for one weekend, between Webber’s first win and Massa’s injury, which happened at consecutive races. So in 2009 there was actually no actual race start with 12 winners, if I’m not mistaken.

Bleu
    Participant

I think it is from end 2008 really.

I had to look on San Marino 1982 but there was only four: both Ferrari and Renault drivers. Alboreto was the only one from the rest of the field who won later.

KaIIe
    Participant

If you can count eventual race winners, in the 1961 Dutch GP, 12 drivers out of the 15 who started were or would go on to win a race or races.

I think some random race in the 60s or 70s might have the highest number.

paulgilb
    Participant

The races with the highest number of winners on the grid were Belgium and Spain 1978, with the following 15: Andretti, Brambilla, Depailler, Fittipaldi, Hunt, Ickx, Jones, Laffite, Lauda, Mass, Peterson, Regazzoni, Reutemann, Scheckter, Watson. None of Brambilla, Mass or Regazzoni had qualified for the previous race (in Monaco) which was Depailler’s first win, and Jacky Ickx did not qualify for the following race (in Sweden).

Conversely, 3 races have not seen a single winner on the grid (excluding future winners of course): Britain 1950 (the first World Championship GP), Indianapolis 1950, and Italy 1960 (several teams withdrew on safety grounds).

Since then the record low (excluding USA 2005 with 2 winners) is the early races of 1995 (when the only winners were Schumacher, Hill, and Berger) before Alesi won his first race, as well as the 2 races in 1994 for which Schumacher was banned (Hill, Berger, and Alboreto were the only winners).

Thanks to http://www.statsf1.com for this!

Kingshark
    Participant

1985 has 15:

Alain Prost

Michele Alboreto

Keke Rosberg

Ayrton Senna

Elio di Angelis

Nigel Mansell

Nelson Piquet

Jacques Laffite

Thierry Boutson

Patric Tambay

Alan Jones

John Watson

Gerhard Berger

Rene Arnoux

Riccardo Patrese

That’s got to be the most, isn’t it?

Bullfrog
    Participant

There were 11 last year, of course, with the current ten plus Robert Kubica.

If you count eventual winners (like Kingshark) we’d be up to 13 or 14. Not sure who and when the next new winner will be, but I think we can add Rosberg, di Resta and at least one current Sauber driver.

It makes the field appear stronger if there are more winners and champions. The opposition looked weak during (or just after) the periods when Senna and Prost, or Schumacher, dominated. But I’m convinced today’s drivers are stronger in depth than when people like Montoya, Coulthard and Ralf Schumacher were regular winners.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Good find, Paul! And since the first part of my question was about the highest percentage of winners to start a race, I don’t think we ought to count eventual winners. HOWEVER, I do think that counts for something in regards to arguing over what was the best field in the sport’s history. Hence, the second half of my question.

I’m checking those two grands prix and both had 24 starters. That means 62%. That still doesn’t quite answer the question definitively as to which race had the highest percentage of winners (though if I had more time and was truly bored, I’m sure I could use that website to scour each race and figure it out).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.