F1

How many points have Haas squandered this year?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Romain Grosjean is driving Haas’s Australia-spec VF-19 in Germany this weekend and, as at Silverstone, it looks more competitive than the updated version they’ve been using since the Spanish Grand Prix.

Which begs the question: How many points have Haas, currently ninth in the championship, squandered so far this year due to what appears to have been a flawed upgrade, coupled with everything else that has gone wrong for them (such as Grosjean and Magnussen hitting each other at Silverstone)?

Ben Needham
    Participant

My brother is a race mechanic for Haas, so maybe I’m slightly biased, but I’m not sure they’ve squandered too many points this year through mistakes; the car has just been quite slow.

They looked very good in Melbourne, but then they also scored well in Spain on pace post-“upgrade”. The result at the weekend flatters to deceive a little after the Alfa’s being penalised and mistakes by others. I’m not sure they would have scored points at Silverstone (without the crash) and the race in Austria was poor.

In short, the qualifying pace has been strong, but the race pace just hasn’t followed. Going back to the Melbourne-spec looks positive, but it is still a backwards step in reality while all the other teams have been developing successfully.

A good result for Toro Rosso and Racing Point has made Haas’ standing look slightly worse than it is. In reality, I think McLaren should take 4th with ease, then 5th place is anyone’s game from the next five teams depending on results.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.