F1

How many titles each?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Oscar Becker
    Participant

2012: Vettel, Red Bull
    2013: Hamilton, McLaren
    2014: Vettel, Red Bull
    2015: Alonso, Ferrari
    2016: Hamilton, McLaren
    2017: Vettel, Ferrari
    2018: Di Resta, Mercedes
    2019: Perez, Ferrari
    2020: Vettel, Ferrari

Guilherme
    Participant

Thanks @damonsmedley and @helen : )

To be honest I’m not quite sure Vettel will win next year, as McLaren is looking really quick lately – not enough to beat Red Bull, but that can change over the winter.

And Helen, please tell your brother that I really really envy him : P Best of luck to him on his F1 career!

Anonymous
    Inactive

@raymondu999 Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valtteri_Bottas#Career_summary Bottas has been great IMO. He looks like a talent, but obviously F1 and feeder series are different.
    Vettel and Alonso have the potential to win more, as has Hamilton, but I predict he won’t win anymore.
    Bottas, di Resta, Wickens, Perez and Gutierrez are talents, but so is Liuzzi and he’s failed to win, no?
    We will have the talent that F1 needs, so I predict titles will be shared between these drivers, plus obviously other drivers who currently aren’t F1 test drivers. (I listed only current drivers and test drivers)

Colossal Squid
    Participant

2012: Alonso, Ferrari
    2013: Rosberg, Mercedes
    2014: Vettel, Red Bull
    2015: Alonso, Ferrari
    2016: Hamilton, McLaren
    2017: Vettel, Ferrari
    2018: Vettel, Ferrari
    2019: Di Resta, Mercedes
    2020: More than likely someone we’ve never heard of!

In my entirely baseless hypothetical future I see Ferrari learning from their mistakes from the last three years and finally making a monster of a car. 2013 will see all the technical directors now at Mercedes bear fruit by getting one up on everyone with the new technical regulations, allowing Rosberg to clinch his one and only title. Newey will get to grips with the rules by the next season giving Vettel another title winning car.After this though Red Bull will fade away like Williams in the late 90’s but not as sharp a decline. I see Ferrari remaining competitive throughout this time and gaining the upper hand in 2015. After this I’m just looking at who might go where and who looks likely to win a title or two. Hamilton and McLaren will surely get one in and I see Vettel moving to Ferrari. I’d love Perez to be champ but I can’t shake the feeling that he’ll go to Ferrari before Vettel, play no.2 to Alonso and keep that status if/when Vettel joins. I see him almost like Massa in 06-08: Wins, poles and podia but no championship. Man this is fun!

raymondu999
    Participant

@colossal-squid Sorry to disappoint you mate; new regs come in place in 2014, not 2013 :P
    FWIW Newey is usually the strongest at tech changes; not to mention that now he has his works Renault deal. I suspect 2014 will be the dark ages for anyone who isn’t a Vettel/RBR fan

Colossal Squid
    Participant

@raymondu999 Really? I always had it in my head they were a year earlier! Well now I know. Thanks! Newey is very very good at dealing with these changes, you’re right. But it might be possible that come 2014 we have a 2009 Brawn situation again – one team capitalising on a loophole or interpretation of the regs to great effect, while Newey designs the fastest ‘legal’ or non controversial car.

raymondu999
    Participant

To be honest I don’t think that will be the case, the changes are fairly clear cut, with front wing, nose and engines. However engine power would become a factor again as some manufacturers might create a far better engine out of the blocks

Asanator
    Participant

@Collosial Squid – like the Flexi wing, flexi floor, hot blown diffuser cars of the last few years?

Colossal Squid
    Participant

@Asanator – Haha true, but the blown diffuser although banned next year didn’t cause as much controversy as the double diffuser imo. Plus the flexi parts have been found to be legal each time they’ve been tested by the FIA.

@raymondu999 even if that’s not the case it’s exciting to think that a different team will beat or join the top 3 teams in performance due to new regs, something that seems unlikely to happen in the next two years!

raymondu999
    Participant

@colossal-squid You’re not incorrect though – the rule changes were initially slated for 2013 but they were put back to 2014.

Kingshark
    Participant

I’d like to make another prediction, just for fun:

Sebastian Vettel – 4
    Fernando Alonso – 3
    Nico Rosberg – 2
    Sergio Perez – 2
    Daniel Ricciardo – 1
    Kamui Kobayashi – 1

2012 – Nico Rosberg, Mercedes (age 27)
    2013 – Fernando Alonso, Ferrari (age 32)
    2014 – Kamui Kobayashi, Red Bull (age 28)
    2015 – Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari (age 28)
    2016 – Nico Rosberg. Mercedes (age 31)
    2017 – Sergio Perez, Ferrari (age 27)
    2018 – Daniel Ricciardo, Mclaren (age 29)
    2019 – Sergio Perez, Ferrari (age 29)
    2020 – Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari (age 33)

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Sorry, @Kingshark, but I don’t think Ricciardo has a title in him. I haven’t seen anything from him that suggests he has that X-factor that makes champions.

Kingshark
    Participant

Sorry, @Kingshark, but I don’t think Ricciardo has a title in him. I haven’t seen anything from him that suggests he has that X-factor that makes champions.

Sorry PM, but Ricciardo has been very good so far, you just don’t notice it. For the past 3 GP’s, he’s constantly outperformed Liuzzi. In Korea, He nearly LAPPED Liuzzi and he beat D’Ambrosio, who’s Virgin is obviously a much better car.
    And how do you expect him to be impressive when he’s driving a glorified Formula Ford car?

raymondu999
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys lighten up PM! This is a speculation thread for fun. Heck you could also say Karthikeyan as a 7-time champ for all I care.

I don’t get what some people see in Perez though – I personally don’t rate him that much. Not enough to win a title at least. A bit like @Prisoner-monkeys with Ricciardo I guess.

raymondu999
    Participant

I’d like to revise my predictions. Personally, I think 2014 could see several upsets in the pecking order. Engine will become a performance differentiator once more I think – in terms of power, packaging, CofG, and all that jazz. It’s a strong chance Red Bull will return to strength in 2014. Red Bull is now the Renault works team, Newey has some input into the packaging of the engine – and on the current grid, only one tech director stands out in any fashion in light of a rules change.

Next to that I could see another team only half-focusing on 2013 towards the end of this year, and the other half will be set on driving their car forward in 2014, a la Brawn.

With regards to predicting the future, I think Vettel will probably win at least 5 titles – 1 or 2 more with Red Bull, then moving to Ferrari and getting 1 or 2 more titles.
    Alonso, sad to say – will only win 1, maybe 2 more. Not because he isn’t capable – but I don’t think he will ever have the stars align as such in terms of team, car, etc.
    Hamilton I could see him winning another one, but with several close shaves on a 3rd.
    Ditto with Kingshark I can’t see Button winning another title. The guy drives very consistently to his personal limits, but sometimes those personal limits are so limited by his lack of grip feel when the car isn’t balanced to his liking.
    I can’t see Raikkonen winning another title as it stands, though maybe races.
    Schumacher I think will retire after a year where he wins at least two races. In similar fashion to Rocky Balboa in Rocky VI, once he proves that he can come out on top in the current grid, he will be satisfied, and retire.

I think we will see the big rivalry of this era in Vettel-Alonso, not Hamilton-Alonso as many (including myself) predicted. I thought we’d see a rebirth of Hakkinen-Schumacher with Hamilton-Alonso. I guess I was wrong.

As for future stars currently driving in F1, I have my eyes on Hulkenberg and Vergne, and also Grosjean, if he can cut his mistakes out. Perez, not so much, though I know others will disagree. He was stellar in Malaysia, but in hindsight, looking back at Friday practice, it’s quite clear that Perez hit the tyre temperature sweetspot in Malaysia.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.