F1

How was this picture taken?!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    damonsmedley
    Participant

Source of confusion…

From the moment I saw it last year, I was completely bewildered. I spent a good 10 minutes thinking of possible ways to take such a photo, but could only come up with someone hanging a giant boom out in front of the field (which would be dangerous) or someone running out with a camera quickly (which is also reasonably dangerous :P)! Anyway, I remembered it just then and thought “who better to ask than the people of F1 Fanatic?”

By the way, the photo is taken on the pit-straight in China. (Though, I didn’t need to tell you that, because you’re F1 Fanatics, aren’t you?)

sw6569
    Participant

zzzzzzzooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

lenses (they are HUGE)

damonsmedley
    Participant

It doesn’t look to be zoomed though… You can (for some reason, and I have no idea why) tell when a photo has been taken with a zoom or not, and this looks to have been taken from just in front of the car!

sw6569
    Participant

alternatively, that might not have been taken during the race.

sw6569
    Participant

It also wouldn’t surprise me if it had been zoomed then edited.

disclaimer – i am not even an amateur photographer. These are guesses.

Tom L.
    Participant

Photoshop?

Where did you find the photo?

damonsmedley
    Participant

alternatively, that might not have been taken during the race.

I think you have it! It could be when the cars were lining up on the grid. That would explain why there’s a Lotus leading a Ferrari and a Mercedes. Then again, they may have been lapping him…

I know it’s definitely not zoomed, because the Ferrari wouldn’t appear so much smaller and the track would appear to have a more constant width. And there is no way he could have been so selective with the focus as to have the other cars out of focus and the Lotus focused from such a distance.

Where did you find the photo?

Formula 1.com’s 2010 picture review

Anonymous
    Inactive

It looks slightly above the cars, and at that distance, I’m guessing it’s been taken from one of the giant bridge-buildings (the one over the start/finish line) with lots and lots of zoomz.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

It has to be zoomed- what other explanation could there be?! The quality isn’t great either which happens with long distance zoomed up photo’s. Presumably, like ajokay says, it’s been taken from the bridge above the circuit. It is a great photo though

Hare
    Participant

Looks like a top end Mega Pixel camera.. Ned’s right, the quality is a bit poor, suggesting digital zoom, in conjunction with, or as opposed to optical zoom.

I have a 15 MP camera, and I can break an image up in to a grid of at least 20 individual photos, of normal, passable quality.

This one looks a bit tight, so I would imagine if this was something like a 15 MP camera, and this is about 1/30th crop of that photo. In or around.

That’s my contribution :)

damonsmedley
    Participant

It can’t be zoomed. Take this picture for example. Notice how the Red Bulls are approximately the same size? That’s because the of the zoom. You can also see how the straight seems to be at a constant width all the way down, whereas in the picture I posted originally, it falls away quickly, almost suggesting the photographer was there. And I don’t think it’s high enough to have been taken from the giant structure over the track.

I am not sure whether we’re going to find a definitive answer, so here’s a new challenge! What on Earth is Kamui Kobayashi doing in this picture?!

butterdori
    Participant

As Damon said, you can tell if a photo has been zoomed. This is because the perspective gets narrower as you zoom further.

Here’s an example to show the change in perspective

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/perspective-composition-600×513.png

The higher the focal length (the number on top of the photo), the more ‘zoom’ you have

Whether the photo you refer to has been zoomed or not, on the other hand, I’m not sure.

Hare
    Participant

In Addition, having checked my own photos, I would say he has a long zoom lens, and a high MP camera from anything up to potentially 500m away.

Though, asking a sport photographer (such as Sutton ;) )would get you a much better idea.

GeeMac
    Participant

I’m pretty suer Kamui is thinking “How am I going to overtake this hot girl?!?”

Hare
    Participant

Re Kamui.

He’s thinking ‘ Are you looking at my girl? ‘

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.