F1

How will Felipe Massa be used in Abu Dhabi?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Todfod
    Participant

There are so many discussions on what the Red Bull drivers wil do in Abu Dhabi, and how it will be possible for them to at least get Webber the title. However, I think how Ferrari use Felipe Massa might also be crucial to Fernando’s title chances. If Felipe can manage a decent qualifying position (within the top 5) at Abu Dhabi, would Ferrari use Felipe as a road block for the Red Bulls? By either keeping him out on worn out soft tyres, or putting him on primes during quali, they might find a situation where both the RBs after their pit stops are stuck behind Felipe, who still has a pit stop to make.

Although there are way to many ifs and buts involved in this discussion, what do you think Ferrari should do with Felipe’s strategy to help Fernando secure the title? Will Massa be able to deliver on this game plan, or will he disappoint again?

Icthyes
    Participant

If Massa is going to be a roadblock, then it’s best putting him on the primes to start with. Mind you Red Bull will be wise to this and time their stops accordingly.

Massa will not be in a position to help Alonso unless Fernando has a problem or spins off and he has to let him through for position.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If Massa is going to be a roadblock, then it’s best putting him on the primes to start with. Mind you Red Bull will be wise to this and time their stops accordingly.

The only problem is that everyone else will qualify on options, so Massa would have to put in a blinder on a circuit he doesn’t know using tyres that aren’t as good as the rest of the grid.

Todfod
    Participant

If its Alonso trailing Vettel and Webber.. which is the most likely scenario. A roadblock could defnitely help Fernando get close on the tails of the Red Bulls and negate any gap they had created. Would be interesting to see how Red Bull plan their pitstops… will they be timing it in response to Fernando or Felipe

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Alonso would have to be right on top of Webber and Vettel. If Massa was being lapped, he’d be given the blue flags, and if he ignored them, he’d be given a penalty, which would remove whatever advantage he could give Alonso because it would take him out of sequence entirely. You have to serve a penalty within three laps, but if Massa stayed out to delay Webber and Vettel even more, he’d probably get that penalty upgraded to a stop/go penalty. And the stewards would be well within their rights to give Alonso a drive-through as well if they believed Massa was holding Webber and Vettel up for Alonso’s sake. When Ferrari used team orders, people made a big deal about how Formula 1 is a team sport and Ferrari had the right to do it because they are a team. If that’s the case, then they have to experience it together if they get penalised.

infy
    Participant

I think we all know how useless Massa is. He is going to be as much a help to Alonso in the final race as he was to Alonso in Brazil…

Todfod
    Participant

@PM. We are not talking about Massa being lapped. I’m saying what if Felipe is less than 22 seconds behind Vettel and Webber just before they make their pitstops? Then he would effectively take the race lead when they exit the pits, and they would be fighting Felipe for position, so there is no penalty involved.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m saying what if Felipe is less than 22 seconds behind Vettel and Webber just before they make their pitstops?

This is why I thought you were talking about Massa being lapped – there’s no way he’s going to be behind the Red Bulls and Alonso and still be within a 20-odd seconds of the actual leader by the time the stops come around.

Icthyes
    Participant

I’m not so sure why you’re quick to rubbish these scenarios. If Massa gets into Q3, going onto the primes might not get him 4th, but it’s not going to be worse than 10th. Of course if he doesn’t get into Q3 he’ll be on primes at the start anyway.

In this situation, as Todfod says Massa might be just “close” enough to be ahead after the first pit stops. I don’t know when they’ll be but we can’t rely on the options lasting long enough for that kind of lead over a Ferrari, even if it is Massa and not Alonso. Then the roadblock can commence.

VettelS

Frankly, I’ll be surprised if Massa qualifies in front of McLaren (Hamilton at least). And I wouldn’t put it passed him not making Q3. I think Massa could potentially throw a hammer into the works for Red Bull, but realistically, even if he starts on primes, I doubt he’ll be a big problem.

RIISE

How interesting would it be if Massa stuck the car on pole in front of Alonso, Vettel and Webber, would Vettel see red and go Kamikaze?

Todfod
    Participant

@RIISE. Its way to hard to imagine… But if Massa could pull a top 2 row spot, I think the start will be very interesting.

TommyB
    Participant

That sounds so wrong. But anyway, I don’t think Felipe will be quick enough to make a difference to the title battle.

Hare
    Participant

@Riise, I think he’ll certainly see red, sponsored by Santander.

@Todford Delicious prospect eh? That would really be team strategy.

I wouldn’t write off Massa at all, depends on what kind of weekend he has, whether he’s in it emotionally and mentally I think. If he’s a bit blasé about it, as I think I would be, he wont be in and amongst them

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.