F1

If Manor don't make 107% time should they be allowed to start?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I would say yes!

The team have shown they operate to a high professional standard, and their rescue deal meant there was no option to do anything sooner. The 107% rule was designed to keep rubbish teams away, like Life and Andrea Moda in the 90s. Manor would hardly be an inconvenience to others, and besides negotiating backmarkers is a skill all top drivers should have.

So I say: live and let live – and Manor give us something to cheer about!

Dan
    Participant

Something else I would like to know is if Manor don’t make the 107% lap time in qualifying and are not allowed to race, would they still be allowed their share of the 2014 prize money?

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

@f1fanf1fan
    I would assume so seeing as they are still participating in the race weekend.

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

I think they should be allowed to, but whether the stewards are kind enough to think the same way I don’t know. This:

The 107% rule was designed to keep rubbish teams away, like Life and Andrea Moda in the 90s.

Is correct, however the intentions of the rule are generally irrelevant once they are in place – at that point it just becomes what the rule says rather than the reason behind it. That’s why recently aero rules (particularly for front noses/wings) have kept changing every year, because the FIA’s intentions behind the rule and what the teams did with it didn’t match up. However because the rule was written as it was it couldn’t be changed/refined until the next year.

The rules have to be enforced as they are written otherwise there’s no point having them. However the 107% rule is completely unnecessary and they should get rid of it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The rules have to be enforced as they are written otherwise there’s no point having them. However the 107% rule is completely unnecessary and they should get rid of it.

You said it yourself. There is no point in having the 107% rule, so why not just keep it on the plate so Ferrari keep quiet and never actually enforce it?

George
    Participant

It’s not just for rubbish teams, rubbish drivers too. Not that I’m suggesting either of Manor’s drivers are unable to drive in F1, but they do have a grand total of one race between them. Albert park is fairly easy to obey blue flags thankfully so hopefully they shouldn’t get in the way too much.

MazdaChris
    Participant

Actually this iteration of the qualifying rule was only put in place a few years ago, directly in response to the performance of HRT and the other ‘new’ teams. So I see it still having some relevance. Where it was waived previously was in cases where the teams had already demonstrated the ability to run a representative laptime through the weekend. I think there’s some leniency in there. And of course, if anyone can’t take part in qualifying for some reason then it’s unfair to disqualify them on that point.

However, in the case of Manor, as we sit here right now with two of the practice sessions down and the Manor car yet to take to the track, I would say that if they aren’t able to participate in P3 and then in qualifying, or fail to set a representative time in qualifying, then it is correct to apply the rule in this case.

But I agree with the principle, that unless they are outrageously slow, then there’s no real grounds for saying it’s a safety issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.