F1

If you were Bernie…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    McLarenFanJamm
    Participant

The talk of the Oz GP being dropped has got me thinking…

If you were in control of the F1 rights, which tracks/countries would you drop from the 2011 calendar? Which tracks would you replace them with (if any) and why?

Rules are:

You can’t have 2 races in the same country (so no Imola AND Monza, has to be one or the other)

20 race cap

I’ll save mine for later on ;)

Todfod
    Participant

1) Zandvoort replaces Bahrain

2) Melbourne

3) Sepang

4) Shanghai

5) Istanbul

6) Monaco

7) Catalunya

8) Magny Cours replaces Valencia

9) Montreal

10) Indianapolis replaces Abu Dhabi

11) Silverstone

12) Nurburgring

13) Estoril replaces Budapest

14) Spa

15) Monza

16) Singapore

17) Fuji (although Suzuka is pretty good too)

18) Korea

19) India

20) Brazil

Ned Flanders
    Participant

It’d be easy to a fantasy one with my favourite 20 tracks. But I’d like to stick to reality as much as possible, and keep it to tracks that give a good geographical distribution of races, bring money in, attract fans, and open new markets. So, here goes:

1) Adelaide (because I’m sick of hearing Melbournians moaning about their race)

2) Sepang

3) Kyalami (Make it a bit more of a WORLD championship)

4) Shanghai

5) Monza (earlier in the season, just for the novelty of it)

6) Monaco

7) Norisring (it’d be better for racing than either current German circuit)

8) Valencia

9) Montreal

10) Austin (assuming they managed to get it built very quickly!)

11) Silverstone

12) Paul Ricard (they’d need some more stands… and it should run on the highest speed layout)

13) Brno (The Hungaroring has monopolised the Eastern European GP for too long!)

14) Portimao (because it’s spectacular for TV viewers)

15) Spa

16) Singapore (But I’d tinker with the layout a bit)

17) Fuji (I am in the minority who actually quite like this circuit! It’s great for racing)

18) Korea

19) India (It deserves a chance, but if it’s crap I’d sling it for 2012)

20) Interlagos

VettelS

For one thing, I’d like to see the A1 Ring back.

RIISE

If I were Bernie I couldn’t care less who’s on the list provided they cough up.

David-A
    Participant

I agree with Todfod and Ned about Fuji. Suzuka is a good circuit, but doesn’t seem to suit the F1 cars as well for good racing.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

A few of the circuits I would add …

New Catalunya – http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4307911

New Adelaide – http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4307890

New Singapore – http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4307924

Cape Town – http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4307917 (although it’s far too long)

Stockholm – http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4307921 (I picture this as more of a permanent circuit built anywhere)

I’d also use the perimeter of Bahrain and the shortest version of Abu Dhabi to change their image from slow and boring circuits to super-fast sprint races to rival Monza.

Hare
    Participant

.. I’d wear platforms, dye my hair, get a face lift (all of it) and pretend I was John Lennon…

.. but that’s if I was Bernie.

GeeMac
    Participant

If I was Bernie I too wouldn’t care less about the tracks, which is pretty much what he does at the moment.

What I would definitely do is take all my money out of the bank in $1 bills, fill up a swimming pool with them and swim around in them like Scrooge McDuck.

http://givemetherock.com/wp-content/uploads/scrooge-mcduck.jpg

The Dutch Bear
    Participant

If I was Bernie this would be my calendar.

1. Australian GP, Adelaide (Bathurst is plan B)

2. Malaysian GP, Sepang

3. Singapore GP, Singapore (short after Sepang to cut travel costs for the teams)

4. South African GP, Kyalami (although the former layout is much better)

5. Spanish GP, Motorland Aragon (I don’t like Catalunya, Jerez and both the Valencia tracks)

6. Bernie Ecclestone GP, Paul Ricard (I own the track, duh)

7. Monaco GP, Monaco

8. Canadian GP, Montreal

9. American GP, Austin (If not finished in time Indianapolis Oval, let’s see whether F1 on a Oval can work)

10. British GP, Silverstone

11. German GP, Norisring (I like short and fast street circuits, although I would like to see F1 race on the Nurburgring 24H but the costs will be too high)

12. Portugese GP, Portimao

13. Dutch GP, Zandvoort (replacing Hungaroring that replaced Zandvoort in 1986. Zandvoort was the first track with camera helicopters. I didn’t like them, right up to the moment I found I could fly directly after the race to (Amsterdam) Schiphol Airport in them!)

14. Belgian (Wallonian?) GP, Spa-Francorhamps, (should always be there, great track. Don’t know whether Belgium still exists when we race there, since they recently broke the world record of making a cabinet (government).)

15. Italian GP, Monza

16. Indian GP, Jaypee

17. Korean GP, Jeonnam

18. Japanese GP, Suzuka (a classic, I have my doubts about Fuji.)

19. Chinese GP, Macau (the most challenging street circuit in the world, dangerous maybe, but Monaco isn’t what you would call safe either.)

20. Brazilian GP, Interlagos

Anonymous
    Inactive

Basically I would go for the racing and fan base with

Silverstone

Spa

Monza

Nurburgring

Suzuka

Then you need the BRIC countries

Moscow (I so what to see the Moscow Grid Girls)

China

India

Brazil

Then the Sponsor festivals

Monaco

Singapore

Dubai

The remaining 8 will be done on who can pay the most basis

Nic Morley
    Participant

1) Melbourne

2) Suzuka

3) Sepang

4) Shanghai

5) Istanbul

6) Monaco

7) Catalunya

8) Magny Cours

9) Hockenheim

10) Hungary

11) Silverstone

12) Spa Francorchamps

13) Monza

14) Abu Dhabi

15) Singapore

16) Korea

17) India

18) Canada

19) Austin

20) Brazil

But if I was really Bernie I would retire.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s the list that I bring out each time one of these threads arises (Quite often, so often, I have it saved in a notepad file)

I also broke the rules with regards to ‘not-more-than-one-race-per-country’ with the USA, because it’s very big and has a lot of fans. Unlike China, for example, which is very big and has very few fans.

1 – Brazil – São Paulo – Autódromo José Carlos Pace

2 – Americas – The Americas – Various (Rotation)

3 – USA West – California – Laguna Seca

4 – Monaco – Monte Carlo – Circuit de Monaco

5 – Spain – Alcañiz – Motorland Aragon

6 – European – Europe – Various (Rotation)

7 – Canada – Montreal – Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

8 – USA Indy – Indianapolis – Indianapolis Motor Speedway Oval

9 – France – Le Mans – Circuit de La Sarthe (New mid-length version)

10 – Britain – Northamptonshire – Silverstone Circuit

11 – Germany – Nürburg – Nürburgring

12 – Italy – Monza – Autodromo Nazionale di Monza

13 – Belgium – Spa – Circuit de Spa-Francourchamps

14 – Portugal – Portimao – Autódromo Internacional do Algarve

15 – USA East – Florida – Sebring International Raceway

16 – Argentina – San Luis – Potrero de Los Funes

17 – South Africa – Kyalami – Kyalami Circuit

18 – Pacific – Asia/Oceania – Various (Rotation)

19 – Japan – Suzuka – Suzuka Circuit

20 – Australia – Melbourne – Albert Park Circuit

You many have noticed many of the new Middle-Eastern and Asian tracks are missing. There is a good reason for this. Style over substance, and we all know it.

But there we are, Calendar with at least 1 race on all continents, a decent presence in North America (boath coasts, and the oval in the middle), classic European races, and 3 slots left open for various tracks on rotation, such as the Middle Eastern ones.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think you mean to write, “China does not have many fans yet”. However as USA buys less and less luxury cars and China buys more and more, and manufacturers both need and want to use F1 to promote their brands qualities in China (and the other BRIC countries.)you will see more and more of a following in China and less and less interest in taking F1 to the USA (not that their seems to be much left).

Its also worth noting that F1 has never achieved the commercial success in North America it has often aspired towards. Yes it has many potential fans, but failed to break the strong following of the local racing.

The simple reality is that F1 goes where its sponsors want to sell products, or be wined and dined. Sadly for the US that’s not the Brick yard but the BRIC countries. Its also why the race in Monaco rarely delivers but will never leave the calendar and Singapore night race has been such a commercial success. It is also why you will see more F1 in the emerging resorts of the Middle East and less in America and Europe.

Anonymous
    Inactive

… which would leave us with the actual calendar we have now, which wasn’t really the point of the thread. “If I was Bernie”, not “If Bernie was Bernie”.

And anyway, Formula One should really be about motor racing, not about manufacturers selling their road cars, so it should go where the fans are. China started out with an almost full house in its first year. Now they devote entire grandstands to giant billboards because there’s no-one to fill the seats.

The Indy GP was always packed, and I’m sure Austin will be too.

So if I was running F1, that would be my calendar.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.