F1

Interlagos revamp

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Spinmastermic
    Participant

Looks like they’re widening the track at the last corner that included the pit entry, which was unsafe. So the new pit entry will be a bit earlier and won’t interfer with the last corner.

Alexandre
    Participant
    Kingshark
    Participant

So they add a chicane to what is already the longest pitlane on the calendar? Ironic, because the circuit is actually one of the shortest.

The pitlane is almost half the track. :O

hunocsi
    Participant

Am I the only one who doesn’t spot any changes to the pitlane entry and exit? Looks pretty much the same to me, and they said anyway that they will change the entry for next year.

Spinmastermic
    Participant

They’ve nearly doubled the with of the track at the pit entry. The retaining wall they built at the back of turn 8 has givin them all the new space. Check pics 10 and 11 in the link above.

Strontium
    Participant

It’s difficult to tell from those. It does look wider but maybe the track will be the same width, with the pit entry earlier on along the straight with a barrier dividing it down the middle.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Call me ridiculous, but would it not have been easier/cheaper just to put a kerb where the white line was? I.e. make the racing line use the actual track limits, and cordon off the pit entry from racing speed cars. There’s a lot of room on the outside of the corner there, which has been effectively cut-off to make the straight a lot straighter.

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

@fastiesty the problem with the pit entry is the wall just sitting there as you go past 300kph uphill, so its difficult to identify. It’s dangerous enough as it is, but chucking in kerbs and the changable conditons Interlagos throws up could turn pit entry into a memorial.
    In my opinion, the pit entry needs to be similar to Sochi’s pit exit in reverse, in other words before T15. The wall needs to be 100m before T15 and The Speed Limiter should kick in where the wall begins currently. The white line should kick in at T14, simiar to Austria’s at T8, so driver’s can stick to the inside, pass the wall at a lower speed, and placing the wall before T15 makes the corner much safer for drivers going past to start a new lap.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@pezlo2013 I understand what you are saying, and I think that’s pretty much what they are going to do. The wall there does look severe, and the fact that cars cut the pit entry line leaves less room for slowing cars/increases the chance of a rear-ending accident in the wet.

Hence my suggestion of moving the racing line away from that pit entry section, by a proper means of separation – not just a line that can be easily crossed at full speed. By kerbs, I meant something that wouldn’t easily be driven over, rather than the flat kerb/astro combination, which doesn’t deter at all being driven upon (leading to the farcical ‘track limits’ debate).

The cars are now so safe, from the FIA crash safety tests (e.g. Kubica Canada 2007), that I’ve never really thought an injury would come from hitting that wall – if that was a concern, wouldn’t they use a tyre wall, or tec-pro barrier before now?

I was thinking it might be better to save the construction cost and instead use the money to install those crash-softening barriers along that whole concrete wall section, rather than trying to move a part of it further backwards, after the fatal Brazilian touring car accident. But this pit work could also be for the other series that use the track, much like replacing gravel traps with asphalt run-offs, which work much better for series like MotoGP.

Alexandre
    Participant

@fastiesty I guess that the problem is where you wrote “something that wouldn’t easily be driven over”: if some car went over some kind of kerb, it could be undriveable then hit that wall at high speed.

Deej92
    Participant

Strontium
    Participant

Oh that looks very good! Much better. I imagine that the the second part of the little chicane will be cut most times (unless specific rules from the stewards / Charlie say they can’t).

It’s a bit hard to see from here but it looks like they may still have to do something to prevent drivers cutting across it. Looks likely to be an improvement, though.

Optimaximal
    Participant

@keithcollantine Could likely just be a case of ‘previously, it was a white line and was a bit of a grey area. Now it’s clearly cutting the track, so a penalty for you’.

hunocsi
    Participant

They already gave a penalty last year for cutting the entry (I think to Massa).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.