F1

Interlagos revamp

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Facetious
    Participant

Much more dangerous! I think Bernie will have to stomp his foot again. The cars used to pan to the left and cut the line but at least the cars were under little steering lock and far from the racing line as this cross section of the racing line with the straight was effectively the 2nd apex. What could make the old entry dangerous was the possibility of someone passing from the inside blocking the pits or if someone went too fast into the pits. Now it’s much more dangerous because now drivers pitting will have to slow down at the 1st apex of the “straight” at the top of the climb a part usually run at full acceleration and the some lock, tricky in dry conditions deadly in the damp or wet.

Strontium
    Participant

Are they still planning / considering adding run off at the last turn?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@peartree So basically, the length of the pit in line is now to blame? From that picture, it doesn’t need to be very long at all, unless there’s some barmy FIA regulation to fulfil, which puts car separation back to the tricky corner. On the straight between both corners is the ideal place to separate pitting cars from racing cars.

What I was suggesting has clearly been achieved – the white painted triangle separates pit entry from racing line, and you would be silly to drive over it. Maybe a bollard is in the photo to dissuade cutting after that, but that could have been designed better.

The chicane worries me a little, why not have just a straight line in (or a gentler chicane) to allow straighter braking? But I’m thinking that pit stops being too long will ruin the racing – their concern is to get the cars slowed before the crest leading to the pit areas.

Atticus
    Participant

Wow, is that last turn even flat-out anymore?

It probably is, if all else fails, the still heavy banking will make it so.

It’s still ‘cuttable’ though, although I expect Charlie to simply say ‘you can’t go below the white line’ and that’s it.

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

I like how they took my idea of moving the entry before the corner, but then changing the wall so its curved around. Big tick there from me.
    What I don’t like is the chicane, which for mine should flow between the barriers. It’s way too agressive as it is and should be rectified.

Atticus
    Participant

Did the track length change?

Facetious
    Participant

@fastiesty The length of the pitlane isn’t a problem in my opinion. My problem is not the placement itself, it’s the fact that F1 cars need space to decelerate from 200kph at that stage and to swerve to the left, but that will happen on the racing line at the first kink of the straight rather than just past that where the entry is located. That section is the toughest part of that straight where famously Webber and Alonso crashed in damp conditions back in 2003. They’ve created a similar problem to Korea’s original pitlane entry.
    Also adding a bollard a kerb or anything like that is useless and would make that section very dangerous at 200 MPH.
    In my view what they should had done is to have pushed the entry to the left of the exit of the last corner and make a parallel section of the track alongside the actual straight. As you can see in some pictures they have a real estate problem, they have had to build a suspended area of track already to accomodate the new changes that said, to definitely save the track they should have invested and explored that option further and as I said above make the entry of the pit lane from the outside of the last corner running parallel to the actual straight with armco or concrete as in SPA’s pitlane entry. It would provide safety and a shorter pitlane time as despite having a longer entry the drivers won’t need to slowdown just before the pitlane limiter.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@peartree Isn’t the Montreal one shorter, tho? and the straight before is a heck of a lot faster too !

From that angle, it looks like it’s just as long as the Montreal one before the little chicane. And it might even be a bit longer…

Don’t see any problem IMO

Facetious
    Participant

@fer-no65 Regarding the length I have no problem or whatsoever. If you look closely or if you just wait till tomorrow perhaps you’ll understand what I mean with this solution being far more dangerous than the previous.

AMR
    Participant

This might just be me, but from the pictures the pit lane entry looks to be right near the apex of the new straight kink. How much are the drivers going to have to slow down right on the path of the straight to make that first turn before the new pitlane chicane? Are drivers slowing to enter the pitlane going to be obstructing that straight or will the straight traffic drift naturally to the right, away from the entry?

It’s scary to think that cars could theoretically be backing off right on that apex. Are we going to see someone get rear ended?

Little_M_Lo
    Participant

@aiera-music i think they’ve just got it right. T14 to T15 is a good couple hundred meters. The only reason I’d see a driver backing off is in the rain, like everyone else would.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.