F1

"Joker" Liveries in F1

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daimon
    Participant

The idea is to let teams be able to chose whatever one-off livery they want as long as it is approved by race organizers (of the race in question). The race organizers meanwhile will be incentivized to reject any potentially “confusing” liveries and approve only easily recognizable liveries.

It is similar to what NASCAR does except there will be a cap on the number of one-offs teams can run and the livery rules will be less lenient. The cap is fairly important since it will keep this from being too common of an occurrence, unlike the “paint scheme” changes in NASCAR.

Meanwhile this would (according to the petition):

• Lead to more attractive cars for fans
    • Generate more media buzz every race weekend
    • Attract more fans to Formula 1
    • Attract more sponsors to Formula 1
    • Create more revenue for F1 teams

At the Cost of:

• Increase in the cost for designing the liveries
    • Some inevitable confusion

I think it is an idea worth pursuing.

Petition:

Article:

hunocsi
    Participant

Are one-offs like the Wings for Life liveries previously used by Red Bull banned now? Because I think if teams want, they could do changes like that. And anything more substantial would be bad, sometimes when I watch Indycar I have no idea who is racing because drivers have completely new liveries race by race.

Daimon
    Participant

Both cars entered by a competitor must be presented in substantially the same livery at each Event

Article 9.1 2016 F1 Sporting Regulations

Teams basically cannot make any significant changes to their liveries for the season. The major
    exception is sponsorship / team changes, but that requires the agreement of the Formula 1 Commission. This is why there has not been a substantial change in over four years.

As for as substantial changes, because each livery will have to be approved it will be more likely that we see cars like the 1986 Marlboro Mclaren light car rather than the constantly changing colors of
    Indycar.

Also teams would be limited based on the length of the season. So if they do take advantage of the rule, then they will make only one or two changes at max.

Graham Wood
    Participant

I think teams should be able to change their colour schemes whenever they want, what harm is there in this? I liked it back in the 70’s when race by race, different ( usually private entries) coloured and different cars & teams entered whatever races they wanted. This added to F1, not like the regimented rules now which give lack of variety. Same goes for teams driver entries

Robert
    Participant

Great idea! Today’s liveries are so boring when compared to the liveries to the old liveries from the 90’s and such. Hopefully this will spice things up! I would love to see this implemented. Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.