F1

Kobayashi deserves a shot

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    shadow13
    Participant

I think Ferrari need to replace Massa because they are not realistically going to be able to fight for the championship without 2 world class drivers which Massa isn’t. Yes generally Ferrari have a first driver and a second driver but usually the second driver is able to step up if there is a problem with first driver. e.g Barrichello won a lot of races as a second driver for Ferrari, when Schumacher was unable to. Massa is just not good enough. I think Kobayashi or Perez would make a better second driver to Alonso.

Anonymous
    Inactive

but usually the second driver is able to step up if there is a problem with first driver. e.g Barrichello won a lot of races as a second driver for Ferrari, when Schumacher was unable to. Massa is just not good enough

Well, not quite. Massa was already in contention for a championship, and it was a serious chalenge (1 point from winning, remember Glock?, 2008), Rubens hasn’t; Massa has won more races than Rubens in less years on Ferrari (11 in 5,5 to 9 in 6). And actually Massa won his 11 races in his first 3 years; then come that awful awful 2009 season with a bad car and of course, his accident. So, no, Massa is a much better Ferrari driver than Barrichello.

Maybe he’s not the same since then Hungary 09, as he has not won again (if we don’t count moral wins) whilst we can’t be sure, because it seems the car in 2010/2011 is not as strong as in 2006-2008. I’m definitely sad for that, as he showed us who he was as a driver in 2006-2008

Icthyes
    Participant

Ferrari are looking for a youngster who’s faster than Massa but slower than Alonso. When they find him, bingo.

Anonymous
    Inactive

do you think Alonso really demands that? can he? I know he had a bad time in 2007, but he was not expecting it. I don’t know, maybe he’s over all that and can handle a teammate that can chanllenge him, which by the way don’t grow on trees.

vinicius.jlantunes
    Participant

@LL Jehto – I agree with you that team comes first, etc. However, Ferrari tends to side with one driver in a manner I don’t see as fair.

If it is an illusion or not… so be it, but I do like drivers that would dare stand for themselves when it makes sense. We agree to disagree.

wasiF1
    Participant

I am surprise as well,I am not jealous that Perez got the chance but I think Kobayashi should also be given a equal chance.I guess they may tale Perez on board instead of Massa in 12 or 13 because of sponsor issue?

Personally, I would hate to see Perez go over to the Dark Side, but I’d rather him go to Ferrari than Kobayashi.

I’d love to see Koba (and Perez as well) remain at Sauber long-term and bring them up to the front. That would be utterly fantastic to see.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

“maybe he’s over all that and can handle a teammate that can chanllenge him, which by the way don’t grow on trees”

He definitely has learned how to handle them: get on the radio and whine to the team until they order them to move.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

That’s a bit of a Catch 22 situation for you then Magffrey. If Perez continues to impress at Sauber, then Ferrari will snap him up sooner or later. If he doesn’t perform, well, that’s obviously not a good thing either

Anonymous
    Inactive

He definitely has learned how to handle them: get on the radio and whine to the team until they order them to move.

Whether what you call what Alonso does “whining”, rather depends on perspective, as evidenced by the little back and forth Damon Hill had with Eddie Jordan on the BBC F1 forum last weekend. Damon said he was just thinking of getting the best result for the team (hard to prove or disprove) and Eddie said he was categorically stating he did not want to have to race his team-mate (hard to prove or disprove). They’re talking about the same exchange of words. They even agreed, and still do agree, that’s what needed to be done. But the way they describe it makes Damon look either like a world-class driver with mental capacity to spare while driving around through torrential rain in Spa, or like a whiner who doesn’t want to have to fight for his victory.

Anyway, I’m kinda with Geoffrey. I’d like it if Kobayashi and Perez both stayed at Sauber long enough to see them get to a more front-running team. They seem to get along well with eachother and the team both and they both look like they bring slightly different qualities to the team while not having totally different demands from the car.

Also, while I’d like Kobayashi to get a shot in a top-flight car, there really aren’t that many of those. 6, by my last count and at the moment it doesn’t look like any of them are available or will become available before the end of next season. Failing those seats, I think he’s already in one of the best cars available at the moment.

Williams at the moment are struggling too much with pretty much everything, Force India seem to be set up too much for very specific circuit characteristics and Torro Rosso haven’t looked like they have the resources to maximise their early season potential by keeping on developing at the necessary rate. Renault could do better, they have done so in the past, but they have gambled away their whole season the moment they let Kubica go rallying at that crucial time and apparently need Kubica to galvanize them because they were developing much better last year. Mercedes as well could get better, they certainly have the resources and people, but their seats are firmly taken, for one and I think without their current drivers, they might just end up another Sauber-alike team anyway. Not even necessarily because other drivers might not be able to develop the cars similarly, but because the team might not have the same respect for other drivers that they do for Schumacher and by extension for Rosberg because he’s beating Schumacher. Peter Windsor did an interview with Brawn that’s actually the first time I’ve read/heard anywhere about how come Rosberg is that bit faster that sounds like genuine praise for Rosberg being better than Schumacher.

Anyway, I digress, again. For all the above reasons, I think Kobayashi for now is in a good place. Because if he’s not careful, he’ll end up in the same place Glock, or Kovalainen are: highly respected by their teams only for the work they’re doing, but not really looking like that’s going to give them any chance in hell of getting a better drive.

Icthyes
    Participant

do you think Alonso really demands that?

His history in top cars shows that he believes teams need to have a #1 to be able to challenge for the championship. A respectable opinion I happen to disagree with.

can he?

Well at Ferrari it looks like he’s got his way.

I don’t think Bianchi has a hope in hell of jumping into Ferrari. But this may be a way of seeing Perez has what it takes and bumping up Bianchi to his seat.

Asanator
    Participant

Kobayashi is only JUST ahead in quali performances over Perez, I believe it is 4/3 to Kobayashi (Perez missed Monaco and Canada)!

Enigma
    Participant

Perez only missed Canada, as far as qualy is concerned. He out-qualified Kobayashi in Monaco by getting into Q3, which Kobayashi didn’t manage. That’s when Perez crashed. So it’s 4-4 (if you’re correct with the other score, I didn’t check).

electrolite
    Participant

Relations between Ferrari and Sauber have always been very good, so it’s not out of the question. The thing is, Ferrari tend to have an ‘experienced drivers only’ approach going on, which I don’t blame them for, but that means Kobayashi may have another year or two before he can think about driving a Ferrari, even longer for Perez. And by then they may have someone else!

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s good that the major teams have these B teams or partners where they can put and develop their young talents for hasvesting them later, for the drivers that gain the so much needed experience and car time (in practice and racing conditions), and Sauber (HRT, STR) also wins the drivers itself, which are usually very good, car parts they can’t afford to develop and sometimes buy (how ugly is to see a white F1 car? I can’t recall any major sponsors on the car, besides a Burger King logo on the sides and something related with Mexico that Perez brought (rear wing?)).

On the other hand, and it’s sad we are losing this: Peter Sauber used to be the best scout on F1, being the team owner more generous in giving opportunities to young drivers few people heard of and wouldn’t get a seat on Minardi (remember Kimi that wan’ts eligible for a FIA superlicence because of lack of experience in single-seater racing and Peter Sauber put his name on the line giving FIA a performance delivery promise to get him the licence (and I think it was still a race-by-race superlicence, in the beginning))? Nick Heidfeld entered the sport by his hands, although he had proved himself in GP2. HH Frentzen! Roland Ratzenberger. Massa. All brought in by Peter. (with BMW Kubica and Vettel although I’m not sure of Sauber’s influence at the time as he wasn’t the owner anymore). Kobayashi had only 2 races by Toyota, but it was Peter that didn’t let him to be forgotten without a seat for 2010.

About the sponsorship it’s even sadder, taking into account they never had tobacco companies as the main sponsor. They had for years the 2 non-tobacco companies more stable in terms of investment in F1, Petronas and Reb Bull. Hope they can paint the car soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.