F1

Manufacturer V Customer

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ledzep4pm
    Participant

How many instances are there of works teams fighting customer teams for a championship title? Say Red Bull and Renault or McLaren and Mercedes.

Were most of these won by the works team, as one would suspect, or is it evenly mixed.

Polishboy808
    Participant

Well, Red Bull is not a customer team. Although they do have Renault engines (is that what you mean?), the chasis is pure Red Bull. Same for McLaren. A customer team is like (looking back) Merzario and Rebaque, they had chasis AND engine from an already built up team. Didn’t Spyker also have a customer car, man, forgot….

spyker never used a customer car, remember they already had the infrastructure and staff to build a car from the jordan days.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

Would the most recent customer team be Toro Rosso..until this year?

ledzep4pm
    Participant

by customer I meant customer engines, as opposed to the works team. i.e mercedes and renault

Ads21
    Participant

I was thinking about this and I can’t actually think of a team that won either Championship whilst being an engine customer of a manufacturor that had a full works team at the time. Red Bull or McLaren could become the first

James_mc
    Participant

I suppose prior to the 2010 season, McLaren were seen as the de facto Mercedes “works” team – well principle customer at least and they were beaten by Brawn?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.