F1

McLaren claim they had fastest car towards end of 2011

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Kingshark
    Participant

That’s a shot in the arm for the British media. :P

raymondu999
    Participant

@GeorgeDaviesF1 Probably Canada, Spa, Monza too. Canada Seb was pulling masses of time on everyone in the wet; then when it started to dry the McLarens became the stronger cars. Spa; had Hamilton not crashed out from P2 (I think?) and Button not qualified so low (mostly the team’s fault) they could easily have won there. And had Hamilton not been sleeping at the Monza restart he would have held off Schumacher; and would probably have been quicker at Monza too.

On the flip side; I don’t think Abu Dhabi, Japan, and Germany were clear cut. In Abu Dhabi, though McLarens were quicker in qualifying, I think had Vettel not got his tyre booboo into Turn 2; he probably would have won there; though obviously I don’t know that for sure, and we will never know. Japan I think McLaren were quicker in qualifying – but in the race, Red Bull were just about nip and tuck with McLarens in terms of out and out pace; but the McLaren kept its tyres together better.

Germany is a bit weird – not the country, I meant how the race was in terms of the competitive order. On the softs Ferrari/Red Bull/McLaren were nip and tuck. But McLaren was just about the only car that could use the hards.

Solo
    Participant

Unacceptable comments to say the least. Imagine being a Mclaren driver and reading that? If the team is ok with him saying such things then what would you think about the team’s opinion of you?

Also the comments about the car are kind of naive too. Is like inviting trouble. When you say staff like that then even if you wouldn’t have any legality problem, now you might do.

Seriously was this guy even using his brain while talking or is he looking to get fired?

Girts
    Participant

It’s interesting to note that some Andrew Purcell is the supposed author of the Autosport article. I have never heard of this guy before and he hasn’t written anything for Autosport before. When you google the name, you find a couple of journos with such a name but none of them seems to write about motorsport. So this is a weird case.

Solo
    Participant

So what could a possible theory be? Someone hacked the Autosport site and raised a fake article under a fake name?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Seriously was this guy even using his brain while talking or is he looking to get fired?

It was daft especially from a team like Mclaren (which just makes it all the more funny) but the fact that the article was pulled really irritates me. I don’t know why it was pulled, maybe it was A/s who decided to do it but if it was Mclaren then that just reminds me of one big negative about F1 that I loathe- PR. That’s why I love The Horse Whisperer; the majority of things he/she says are completely nuts but at least he/she says what he/she wants!

The Edge
    Participant

@girts you should have googled ‘andrew purcell f1’

seems he’s blogged(or at least some one with the same name) about mclaren before in the new scientist

im guessing HOAX, he hacked into autosport

Anonymous
    Inactive

im guessing HOAX, he hacked into autosport

That is more likely than a Mclaren insider suggesting that Vettel outperformed their drivers… :P

Solo
    Participant

Well then It will make the deletion of the article perfectly sensible.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah but what are the chances of Autosport being hacked by a known blogger and making up a load of lies like that and then posting the article and then not telling everyone it had been a hoax? If that had happened they’d have apologised and said “hey folks sorry about that but we were hacked so pay no attention”.

raymondu999
    Participant

Don’t forget that the article was tweeted by Jonathan Noble as well. That would seem like an official endorsement to me – Jon Noble tweets every article that goes into the F1 section of Autosport

S.J.M
    Participant

Its a fake article. Either a hack or autosport got lazy and recieved a email from mclaren asking for it to be removed.
    1) Why would Macca say vettels the best, better then JB or LH. They just wouldnt.
    2) Explains why its removed, fake article
    3) what team would ever admit to having things on there that other teams might think illegal. And the day before their cars reveal too.

The Edge
    Participant

well the should someone not tweet back and get the low down from the horses mouth?

…keith?

raymondu999
    Participant

@the-edge many people have tweeted to Jon Noble and Edd Straw about it; and they’re keeping mum. Edd and Jon usually are good sports and reply your tweets, but when I tweeted them it just fell on deaf ears

Anonymous
    Inactive

1) Why would Macca say vettels the best, better then JB or LH. They just wouldnt.

He might be

2) Explains why its removed, fake article

You don’t know that.

3) what team would ever admit to having things on there that other teams might think illegal. And the day before their cars reveal too.

I didn’t find that unusual. Teams always challenge each other if they’re quick. Look at RBR and I swear they’ve made similar comments in the past.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.