F1

Drivers with similar surnames confusing the media

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

I was following the F1 testing coverage yesterday and had a thought, for arguments sake Kimi Raikkonen retired for good at the end of the season was replaced at Ferrari by Bottas. Williams would then have Felipe Nasar and Felipe Massa which would inevitably cause confusion across the media. Can anyone else think of a similar situation were there have been drivers on the grid at the same time with similar names I can only think of

The Schumacher brothers 1997 – 2006
    Martin Brundle and Mark Blundell 1991, 1993 – 1995

@f1fanf1fan The Felipes Massa and Nasr did both run on track for Williams during the same session last year:

Mercedes on top as Toro Rosso show potential

Max Papis and Olivier Panis shared a track in the nineties but they were never team mates.

As far as identically-named drivers go, Jacques Villeneuve’s uncle Jacques Villeneuve (Snr) posted three DNQs in 1981 and 1983. Although spelled the same, I think they pronounced their first names slightly differently – perhaps a Canadian can advise?

Simon
    Participant

I always thought Brundle and Blundell sounded similar. And they both raced for Brabham/Ligier at the same time.

Edit: just realised posted above haha

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jean-Pierre Jabouille and Jean-Pierre Jarier? The two Frenchmen both drove in the late Seventies/early Eighties.
    Also, the Fabi brothers, Teo and Corrado, were both on the grid in 1984.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Gary and David Brabham both competed in 1990, but not at the same time. Gary drove the Life for 2 races before leaving, then David came in replacing Gregor Foitek at Brabham from race 3.

Yes Teo and Corrado Fabi drove in 1984 for Brabham, but they shared the car – Corrado only when Teo was driving in clashing Indy races. I think Corrado drove only 3 times in total that year.

Not sure if Wilson and Emerson Fittipaldi ever drove in the same races?

Craig Woollard
    Participant

Not sure if Wilson and Emerson Fittipaldi ever drove in the same races?

They did indeed, in 1972, 3 and 5.

Other sets of brothers who competed in the same race include Ian and Jody Scheckter and Manfred and Joachim Winkelhock (although the last of these failed to qualify for any races).

andae23
    Participant

Jean-Pierre Jabouille and Jean-Pierre Jarier

And Jean-Pierre Beltoise! They never raced together though, the only two races all three of them entered were the 1974 French and Austrian Grands Prix, but Jabouille did not qualify for either race.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@craig-o Add in Manfred’s son Marcus, who drove just the one race in 2007 – and led it for a number of laps!

Surely Manfred and Joachim never raced in F1 together, Manfred was killed in 1985 while Joachim’s part season for AGS wasn’t until 1989?

paulgilb
    Participant

1959 British GP saw Brian Naylor, Henry Taylor, and Mike Taylor qualify for the race, and Trevor Taylor and Dennis Taylor both fail to qualify.

Participant

As far as identically-named drivers go, Jacques Villeneuve’s uncle Jacques Villeneuve (Snr) posted three DNQs in 1981 and 1983. Although spelled the same, I think they pronounced their first names slightly differently – perhaps a Canadian can advise?

Jacques Jr’s spent so much of his life in Europe that his accent is pretty much French, whereas Jacques Sr. has a really thick Quebec accent. I haven’t heard them saying their names but I imagine Jacques Sr. pronounces it more like “Jowk” than “Jack” for that reason.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Many of Jacques’ cars were engineered by “Jocques” Clear, whenever Ted Kravitz or James Allen had a slip of the tongue…

Strontium
    Participant

During the races people sometimes confused Alonso and Alguersuari because of the 3 letters used: ALO and ALG.

GearGrinder
    Participant

How about drivers who behaved so differently from moment to moment that it appeared two different people shared the same body? Chris Amon comes to mind.

Dan
    Participant

Or how about Senna/ Schumacher who could be unbeatable in some races yet they both have certain actions in races that are black marks on their carrier

Senna – Suzuka 1990

Schumacher – Monaco 2006

There are of course plenty more examples but you get the idea

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m thinking Toshio Suzuki and Aguri Suzuki drove in the same races towards the end of 1993, Aguri driving the Footwork all year, and Toshio driving a couple of races for Larrousse as a rent-a-driver.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.