F1

Mercedes Performance Advantage

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dave
    Participant

With all the talk from RedBull and fans alike about equalising the power unit performance (and more importantly Massa stating that he “hopes” that the Merc power unit in the back of the Williams is the same spec as the works team,) I’ve been wondering at exactly where the performance advantage comes from.

Mercedes have in recent V8 history had a power advantage over Renault. I think I recall correctly that Renault won the titles in 2005 / 2006 due to a superior traction advantage and better aerodynamics. RedBull developed the blown diffuser better than anyone else towards the end of 2009 / 2010. Renault’s blown exhaust system and Newey’s aerodynamics made up for an engine that was slightly down on power / straight line speed up until 2013.

So before 2014 Merc started with the ability to produce a powerful engine, and have developed the best engine of anyone. In addition the MGU ERS system seems also to be better than anyone elses as I think was the case with Merc / MClarens KERS.

Their aero has also improved greatly and appears to be the class of the field, although RedBull have not been able to run fast enough or control throttle through corners to showcase theirs. Back in 2008 Brawn and Honda invested a huge amount in aero work before Honda pulled out. Brawn became Merc and this philosophy seems to have stuck.

BUT…. the biggest advantage appears to be what everyone is terming “control systems” which are not passed on to customer teams. As I understand, control systems are a big part of MC Honda’s problems, what may be causing RedBull’s problems, were responsible for Grosjean’s retirement in Australia and what in part separates Merc from Williams.

Does anyone have an opinion or idea on how Mercs control systems are so much better? Would it be possible for a standard set of boxes and software be produced which all engine manufacturers have to use in conjuction with ICE / MGU / ERS, say for 2017 season? Then maybe the smaller differences in the power unit and aero would provide closer competition.

Any Engineers out there?

Akin Aslan
    Participant

I did not want to start a new topic for this, but there might be a glitch in the merc software too. Just remember that Rosberg said that he had engine cut outs in qualifying and I just watched a video and it also happened to Hamilton the race.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_auNKp32U6Y

its at 42.45

Atticus
    Participant

Well-spotted and yes, it might be a brief cut-out, I think. It definitely feels like one by ear.

It might also have been the moment that caused his fuel reading going awry a bit later on.

Although, in a wider context, we all knew since testing concluded that the Mercedes still has a mileage/failure ratio that is average at best. So it’s not that big of a surprise to see them having glitches here and there. I think it’ll be rather similar to last year; no wonder Seb talks that much about the importance of being there in 3rd place – it’s to be able to capitalise once (and rather not ‘if’) something goes very wrong at Mercedes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.