F1

Most nationalities represented

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DavidJH
    Participant

At Austin we’re losing a Brit and gaining a New Zealander. Will this GP have the most number of nationalities represented?

@DavidJH That’s a good question. I can’t answer it definitively at the moment, but a useful starting point might be to look at the biggest-ever entry which was when the field hit 39 cars during 1989. At the San Marino Grand Prix the following nationalities were represented:

Brazil
    France
    Britain
    Italy
    Belgium
    USA
    Japan
    Spain
    Austria
    Switzerland
    Germany
    Sweden

Total: 12

This weekend we’ll have:

Belgium
    Australia
    Germany
    Finland
    France
    Sweden
    Mexico
    Spain
    Canada
    Brazil
    Denmark
    Russia
    Germany
    France
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Britain

Total: 17

So it looks like you’re probably right – even with a grid twice the size the number of nationalities represented was lower.

hunocsi
    Participant

@keithcollantine You counted France and Germany twice, we’ll have 15 nationalities represented this weekend.
    I don’t know if that’s a record or not, but I looked back to the 2000 season and if I didn’t miscount 15 is the highest in that period for this weekend’s along with:
    – 2005 German-Chinese GPs (8 races, 20 cars, Doornbos driving under Monegasque colors)
    – 2006 European-US GPs (6 races, 22 cars)
    – 2011 German and Indian GPs (with 24 cars on the grid)
    – Australian and Chinese GPs this year when Giovinazzi sat in for Wehrlein (20 cars)

I didn’t want to go back way before 2000 as that would mean counting race by race for most periods, but I guess this is pretty much as high as it gets. But if anyone has the time and algorithm or statistics to prove so, I’m interested to see the result.

@hunocsi Thanks for checking!

ejay
    Participant

I might try and look at this properly if I get the time but the 1979 US grand prix stands out as it looks like it had 17 nationalities enter (not all of them qualified). Haven’t found anything better than that.

Of course it depends what your mean by ‘represented’. In the race or throughout the weekend? If you look back at this year’s malaysian grand prix there were 13 nationalities represented in the race but 3 further countries (russian, monaco, indonesia) were represented in FP1.

hunocsi
    Participant

Nice find @ejay. Free practice drivers definitely shouldn’t count towards the number, as they aren’t driving with the intention to race. The highest number of entrants with different nationalities a) entered, b) qualified to race (or should DNSs not count?) could both make interesting statistics, but that needs proper a bit more research.

In the meantime I randomly stumbled upon the 1974 Swedish GP which had drivers from 16 different nationalities that actually started, which means @davidjh that this weekend’s race definitely isn’t the most.
    Maybe I’ll look into it during the weekend…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.