F1

My top five F1 drivers of all time

• This topic has 34 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Ben.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Girts
    Participant

It’s pretty easy to make a list of my favourite drivers…

Alex Yoong
    Giancarlo Fisichella
    Heikki Kovalainen
    Michael Schumacher
    Paul di Resta

…but it’s practically impossible to make a list of the best ones. Still, I’ll give it a try:

Ayrton Senna
    Fernando Alonso
    Jim Clark
    Michael Schumacher
    Sebastian Vettel

mnmracer
    Participant

Best:
    Jim Clark
    Michael Schumacher
    Alain Prost
    Ayrton Senna
    Juan Manuel Fangio (for now)

Favorite:
    Sebastian Vettel
    Michael Schumacher
    Jim Clark
    Robert Doornbos
    Robert Kubica

Sri Harsha
    Participant

Favorite :
    Sebastian Vettel
    Robert Kubica
    Micheal Schumacher
    Fernando Alonso
    Nico Hulkenberg

Best :
    Juan Manuel Fangio
    Jim Clark
    Alain Prost
    Ayrton Senna
    Sebastian Vettel

Nathan
    Participant

My favourite five;
    1) Fernando Alonso
    2) Gilles Villeneuve
    3) Michael Schumacher
    4) Nico Rosberg
    5) Not really sure, but there are more of them who could be #5; Fangio, Ascari, Nuvolari, Moss, Raikkonen, Hamiton Senna a-n-d finally Prost

My top five,as I personally see it;
    1) Fangio
    2) Clark
    3) Prost
    4) M.Schumacher
    5) Senna

Rob Allen

Love ur pic Wilson (piquet having a pop at elio Salazar, German gp 1982):-)

Steph
    Participant

It’s a bit pointless if I say the best drivers as that’s massively influenced by my favourites because they reflect the qualities I value most in drivers, plus there’s no decent/exact way to compare the drivers or rank them given the changing nature of the sport.

However, my favourites are:
    1 Massa (lovely guy, so passionate, bloody quick, he can race, he’s came back in wonderful style after a serious head trauma which could have killed him and he’s a bit of an underdog)
    2 Gilles (quick, flamboyant and fair)
    3 Prost (calculated, was a much better racer than anyone he faced imo and his races were always exciting)
    4 Alonso (an all round package- he reminds me of my favourite animal oddly, which is the Cape hunting dog; it is a relentless animal that when engaged in a chase its kill rate is 90% compared to the lion which is only around 30%. He’s ruthless and effective- like Prost but not quite as good although probably quicker).
    5 Lauda (he was the first Prost really although Nelson snr was seriously under rated. I find what he went through at Germany and then his comeback just inspiring).

Rob Allen

I agree there steph, piquet was highly underated, he was such a character, on and off the track.

Loup Garou
    Participant

This is a more difficult answer than it appears because of the variables involved. But going by a general rulebook and in NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

Alain Prost
    Jim Clark
    Ayrton Senna
    Sebastian Vettel
    Michael Schumacher.

I am not a big fan of Fangio because if you read about his career in some detail, he pretty much demanded and got away with what he wanted. I am not in the slightest disputing that he was a great driver but not one of my favourites.

Andrei
    Participant

My top five in no particular order:

Schumi, Prost, G. Villeneuve, Sir Stirling Moss, Lauda.

Hamilfan
    Participant

Best :

1)Fangio : the cars were insane,the tracks ruthless, the drivers crazy quick.
    2)Senna : the ability , the charisma , the passion.
    3)Nelson piquet ( snr ) : I just saw a few clippings of his races , but wow , what ability
    4)Schumacher:won WDC in different teams. Great feedback but did some stupid things in his time.
    5)Sebastian Vettel : His ability to work with his guys to the optimum . great commitment ( I am almost willing to put him ahead of Schumacher , but just want to wait till he wins WDC in another team ).

( I am dying to include Hakkinen in there , but just don’t have the space,sorry)

Favorite drivers : My comments below are when the drivers were at their absolute peak , not the current status.
    1) Hamilton : most exciting driver to watch on track when he is on song . ( peak so far :2007,2010)
    2) Senna : if it rains , senna reigns . ( peak 1992 I believe )
    3) Alonso : Fantastic when he attacks and uses every drop of potential of his car. ( peak 2012 )
    4) Hakkinen : Finn precision ( 1999)
    5) Montoya : fired up on the track with a screaming williams-BMW .

I wan’t to include Seb in there for his sheer ability to pull out gaps and chase down cars . But after Hungary 2010, the wing episode ( I don’t know which race), Malaysia 2012, I lost a lot of respect . Maybe a day in the future , who knows.

sbl on tour
    Participant

fittipaldi
    watson
    mansell
    herbert
    alonso

Anonymous
    Inactive

Senna
    Fangio
    Vettel (that hurts)
    Schumacher
    Prost- The Professor!

Why is it 3 x champions like Niki Lauda are never mentioned, I think even Nelson Piquet may have done ok!!

Ben
    Participant

ok, my turn…

Favourite:

1. Damon Hill – As Frank Williams said, he’s one tough SOB, forced his way into F1 and proof that nice guys can win
    2. Ayrton Senna – My boyhood hero
    3. Keke Rosberg – Cheered for him in ’85 at Brands Hatch with a bunch of drunk Finns (my first race)
    4. Lewis Hamilton – Who could ever forget that first season!
    5. Jenson Button – 2009, what a story.

Best:

1. Senna
    2. Prost
    3. Vettel – I really want to see this kid in an uncompetitive car.
    4. Alonso
    5. MSC – A great driver but the years of custom spec tires, ramming opponents off of the track and placid team mates taints his legacy for me.

Pamphlet
    Participant

Best:

10. Lewis Hamilton (*)
    09. Niki Lauda
    08. Emerson Fittipaldi
    07. Ayrton Senna (**)
    06. Jim Clark
    05. Mika Häkkinen
    04. Juan Manuel Fangio
    03. Alain Prost
    02. Sebastian Vettel (***)
    01. Michael Schumacher

* – Barely edges Alonso by virtue of 2013 and the second half of 2012.
    ** – One word: Honda.
    *** – I am of the firm belief that Vettel is the fastest driver to have ever graced this sport, but he lacks Schumacher’s spirit and leadership. Talent-wise, they’re equal, so I don’t see any way for Vettel to overcome his mentor.

Euro Brun
    Participant

Best 5:
    Juan Manuel Fangio
    Alain Prost
    Jim Clark
    Nikki Lauda
    Michael Schumacher

Fav 5:
    Jim Clark
    Graham Hill
    John Surtees
    Nigel Mansell
    Eddie Irvine

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.