F1

New races must stop

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Powderfinger
    Participant

2017 – Hell (probably)

What, is Bernie taking F1 with him?!?!

:(

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It’s not just about the circuits, is about the locations. Italy, Germany, Great Britain, Japan, USA, etc. all have a rich history of motor racing. Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, China, India, Russia, etc. do not.

Like I said, I couldn’t think of a worse way to run the sport. Your attitude is elitist, trying to protect what already exists simply because it exists. There was a time when Italy, Germany, Great Britain, Japan and America didn’t have that “rich history of motor racing”. The only way to get it is to maintain a presence in the motorsport world for decades. And yet, you’d happily shut down races in Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, China, India and Russia because they don’t have a “rich history of motor racing”, and in doing so, you deprive them of the chance or the ability to develop it. The end result is that there can be no growth in motorsport, simply because you selfishly want to protect what one country has and the other does not, and which the first country has by sheer virtue of having always had it. And if, by some miracle, you somehow got your wish, you’d probably come back here in five or ten years bemoaning the way smaller countries do not have any motorsport.

I find your attitude elitist, contradictory, selfish, and in all honesty, disgusting. And it doesn’t help that you clearly have no idea what you want the sport to be other than “something other than what it is now”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know exactly what I want the sport to be. F1 should introduce a new race maybe every four or five years, like it used to be. Not every year.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The calendar should be something like this:

1 – Melbourne
    2 – Sepang
    3 – Istanbul
    4 – Barcelona/Valencia sharing
    5 – Paul Ricard
    6 – Monaco
    7 – Montreal
    8 – Sonoma
    9 – Silverstone
    10 – Hockenheim/Nurburg sharing
    11 – Budapest
    12 – Spa
    13 – Monza
    14 – Suzuka
    15 – Yeongam
    16 – Interlagos

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sepang, Istanbul, and Yeongam are all events in countries with no motor racing history, just to make Monkeyface happy.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

And how do you propose the sport goes about breaking half a dozen multi-year contracts with the likes of China, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, Austin, Russia, New Jersey and so on, especially when the new Concorde Agreement guarantees 20 races in the year?

And why did you replace Austin with Sonoma? Have you ever seen Indycar race there? It’s terrible for open-wheel cars.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@prisoner-monkeys I’ve seen the awesome IndyCar races at Sonoma, yes.

You really are stubborn.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’ve seen the awesome IndyCar races at Sonoma, yes.

Yeah, but you think Abu Dhabi and Valencia are good circuits.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@prisoner-monkeys Why do you disagree with that? I like those tracks, they’re nice little circuits with fast corners, slow corners, long straightaways, short straightaways, and always give the drivers a bit of a challenge.

Bob
    Participant

@joey-zyla – That’s an interesting approach you’re taking with your “ideal calendar”. With only 16 races as opposed to the current 20, how exactly will you be able to fit both the races with rich motorsport heritage, where F1 should continue racing at, and the “new” races, who should be given a chance to develop said heritage in the first place?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Why do you disagree with that?

Because they’re mostly made up of slow chicanes that seem to be designed to keep the cars going past harbours and fancy buildings so that the race looks good on television. Overtaking is practically impossible on both circuits, and while I don’t believe that overtaking should come as naturally as breathing, it is nice to see circuits there overtaking is a possibility.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Chicanes CREATE overtaking opportunities, especially ones at the end of long straights like the one at Yas Marina. Especially if you’re an outbraking expert like Kamui.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Chicanes CREATE overtaking opportunities, especially ones at the end of long straights like the one at Yas Marina.

No, they don’t.

Do you know what the problem with the chicane at the end of the straight in Abu Dhabi is? It naturally favours the defending driver. The attacking driver needs to dive down the inside of the car in front, and then somehow drive around it through the second half of the chicane. The defending driver simply needs to hold onto the racing line through the first corner, and then has the natural track position going into the second corner.

This year’s race in Abu Dhabi might have seen a bit of overtaking, but it was the exception and not the rule. Go back and watch some of the previous Abu Dhabi Grands Prix – they’re all quite boring.

Anonymous
    Inactive

And then, what’s that on the exit of the chicane? A KINK. YES. A KINK. A kink that favors the attacking driver. A bit sharper than just a kink, actually. There’s also another chicane at the end of the next straight.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.