F1

One thousandth Grand Prix

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Strontium
    Participant

2019 will see Formula One’s 1000th Grand Prix race, which if I have counted correctly will be round 3 of the championship (unless any rounds are cancelled this year). I have done a few searches and as far as I know there hasn’t been much talk about this here on race fans.

Who will pay FOM for the privilege of hosting this race? The 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix was the 900th race, and was also round 3 of the championship that year. It seems to me quite likely that Bahrain will get it again.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I imagine they’ll have a big ceremony or something like that.

Jere
    Participant

@Strontium If it’s going to be the 3rd race of the season then it’s presumably going to be China that gets it, though. If round 2 (someone had counted it to be the 2nd race of the season on a different site) then presumably Bahrain.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If it is the third, then it would in theory be at Bahrain, since Bahrain and China usually swap every year since 2016. Of course, there might be some other agreements etc.

FJBH10
    Participant

I know there is very little chance that they will change the calendar but in an ideal world I aould love to see the 1000th race happen at Silverstone, the host of the 1st race. Maybe they could bring out some of the cars that ran in 1950 and have them do some laps alongside the modern cars. Fingers crossed that they might still do something like this regardless of what circuit the 1000th race actually happens at.

Anonymous
    Inactive

1000 races- wow!!
    I went to the 500th in Adelaide in 1989 or 1990….. 89 I reckon.

I would love to see it at Silverstone- 1st and 1000th. If not only Monaco, Spa, Suzuka or Monza deserve that mega privilege. If that early in the year Monaco would be fitting.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Apparently it will be in China (was wishing it would be in Monza).

Jere
    Participant

@Garns Silverstone, Monaco, Spa, Monza can all get (Silverstone and Spa especially) unfavorably cool for F1 in April, so moving any of them to that month only to revert to the traditional slot for the following season wouldn’t really be worth it even for this special occasion. Suzuka’s climate, on the other hand, is similar to that of Shanghai, but still, I can’t see it being moved to April for any reason whatsoever in the short-term.

Jere
    Participant

@Vettel fan 17 ”since Bahrain and China usually swap every year since 2016.”
    – That has been nothing but a mere coincidence, though, rather than a rule/pre-planned tradition as in 2016 China was initially supposed to be round 2, and Bahrain round 3, only to switch places due to the schedule changes (which affected a few other races’ date slots as well, not just these two) made later to accommodate for the traditional August summer break period, while this year they were supposed to take place in the same order as last year, only to switch slots again because China wanted to move away from the 2nd weekend of April due to some local festivities that take place there around that time of the month annually.

plushpile
    Participant

South of France wouldn’t be too bad in April next year – Paul Riccard for the 1000th race?

Jere
    Participant

@plushpile Yes, Paul Ricard’s temperatures in April are relatively similar to, for example, Shanghai’s, Suzuka’s, and Baku’s equivalents, but still, though, I can’t see it being moved to that part of the season as, for achieving this particular feat, it’d have to take place between Bahrain, and China rather than after them at the end of the month. It’s far more likely that it will remain in June or move to July than to April even temporarily.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d be good if they had ex F1 drivers competing, say, for ten laps in a lower formula: just for a bit of fun.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@jerejj – good point on weather but if Suzuka could do April that would be awesome. Its 5 or 6 weeks too early for Monaco and I doubt they would change the traditional date anyway.

Personally for me somewhere like Shanghai or Baku doesn’t deserve the 1000th race as they are not “iconic” circuits of F1. But I am sure you can buy that title.

@richardcantelo – ex F1 drivers with a proper race? Now you’ve talkin’ – Liberty should look at this- give drivers like Alesi, Berger, Mansell, Piquet, Herbert and co. a good car, make it gentlemen rules and let them go for 10-12 laps- its brilliant!! (take a commission though mate- Liberty can afford it LOL)

Harvey Lorenzo
    Participant

China would have its tomb sweeping national holiday again on the weekend of 5-7 April 2019. So it’s possible it would have the 12-14 April 2019 slot. Meanwhile, Bahrain would have the 5-7 April 2019 slot.

Jere
    Participant

@Harvey Lorenzo Or as an alternative, the 19-21 April slot for China.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.