F1

Only Connect: F1 edition

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 837 total)
  • Author

@Ben-n Button (Vettel) is right – can you explain why? (And start a new question!)

Ben Needham
    Participant

Thanks @keithcollantine! I went with Button (Vettel), as I deduced the connection to be last lap lead changes (with a little help…!). Button overtook Vettel on the last lap of the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix.

This new sequence works backwards from:
    Jenson Button (2009)
    Alain Prost (1993)
    Nelson Piquet (1987)

You’ll notice that these are all World Championship winning seasons, but I’m looking for something particular within each to identify the next in the sequence before 1987.

(I’ll be away for a while from Thursday evening – so carry on without me if a correct answer doesn’t appear before then!).

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ben-n Is it Niki Lauda (1977)?

Ben Needham
    Participant

@godoff1 – afraid that’s not what I was looking for, but curious as to how you got there… let me know your link and I’ll let you know if it’s close.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@ben-n All of them left their championship winning team after winning the WDC.

Ben Needham
    Participant

Nice one, but not the link I was looking for. People like Damon Hill (1996) and Michael Schumacher (1995) would break the sequence listed if that were true.

This is to do with the season in which they won, not anything that happened before or after.

Christopher Rehn
    Participant

I’m thinking win streaks, but then the Schumacher-Ferrari era would surely be included. I’m therefore thinking winless streaks yet still winning the championship (Button didnt win in the second half of the year), and with Google I then present you with:

Nelson Piquet (1981) for not winning in the last 5 races yet still claiming the world championship.

Ben Needham
    Participant

@chrischrill – spot on! Excellent logic and Google-ing skills.

Looking forward to seeing your next question!

Christopher Rehn
    Participant

Fantastic. Let’s have a go at this:

Hamilton
    Vettel
    Button

A note: Some drivers could in theory join this list more than once. If so, only the first instance is counted and the following instances are skipped.

TheNikii
    Participant

Michael Schumacher

Most recent drivers who’ve led drivers championship after each race in a season.

LH-2015
    SV-2011
    JB-2009
    MS-2004

Christopher Rehn
    Participant

That’s interesting, but no not what we’re after. Good find though! This is not related to world championships.

Christopher Rehn
    Participant

OK, time to bump a bit eh?

What we’re looking for is related to pole positions.

Christopher Rehn
    Participant

Alright, further clues. Related to winning from pole position.

@chrischrill Think this one might have everyone stumped. Shall I propose a new one?

Christopher Rehn
    Participant

Indeed appears so. We are looking for:

Hamilton
    Vettel
    Button
    Raikkonen

Drivers who won the first race of a season after starting in pole.

These do add up to what TheNikii said, apart from Raikkonen. Hamilton in 2015, Vettel 2011, Button in 2009, Raikkonen in 2007.

Hamilton also did it in 2008 but I skipped that since he was already included.

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 837 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.