F1

Ricciardo vs Vergne – the duel

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    duncanmonza
    Participant

Verdict after 5 races:
    Ricciardo has been strong in qualifying, he’s beaten Vergne 4-1, including a 6th place to an 18th for Vergne. This shows he has the raw pace to beat Vergne, however, he has had some bad starts (must be an Australian thing), and a bit of bad luck with front wing damage on the first lap both occasions he qualified in the top 10. His comeback in Australia and some of his racing in Malaysia was good but other than that his race pace has been quite poor.

Vergne showed that he is very good in the rain in Malaysia with an impressive drive to score points. He has beaten Ricciardo by one position in the last 3 races when they have been in similar positions. So vergne arguably has the better race pace at the moment.

The Toro Rosso looks the worst of the midfielders so it will be difficult for either of them to score amazing results. I doubt they are trialing for the 2013 RBR seat but rather 2014.

raymondu999
    Participant

Now that we’ve established one is pretty much quicker in the race and the other pretty much quicker in qualifying – let’s take a look. Is it Ricciardo who’s falling back (not as quick as the car should be) in the race, or Vergne who’s not as quick as the car in quali?

Alternatively maybe Vergne has knowingly sacrificed quali pace for race pace (given the Pirelli situation), while Ricciardo has just gone for pace in terms of setup.

duncanmonza
    Participant

According to my research, Ricciardo has lost a net 25 places on the first lap this year while Vergne has only lost a net 2.

Vergne is also beating Ricciardo for fastest laps this year 4-1

raymondu999
    Participant

What if we eliminate the Bahrain accident for Ricciardo? ie we disregard Bahrain, but take the rest.

In fairness – the lower you start, the easier it is to gain places on the first lap, as the cars around you are slower. Ricciardo starting 6th can be overtaken by the P7/8/9 guys, but Vergne in 18th? Not much chance of getting outstarted by the Caterham/Marussia/HRT gaggle.

duncanmonza
    Participant

Very true, and I think without his two first lap front wing damage incidents, Ricciardo would have maintained a position roughly where he qualified in Australia and Bahrain.

With all the variation this year, I’d love to see Toro Rosso have some good races and maybe a podium or two.

raymondu999
    Participant

Maybe we go full circle with a Toro Rosso victory in a wet Monza? :P

Kingshark
    Participant

I really want both Vergne and Ricciardo to do well. They are both young newbies, and from what I’ve seen they both seem like very likeable guys, and because I’m a Toro Rosso fan. :p

Anyway, I guess they are trailing Webber’s seat for 2014 rather than 2013, as Horner said Webber is very happy at Red Bull, and both Vergne and Ricciardo clearly need another year to improve.

I really love Vergne’s aggressive driving style;
    http://www.redbull.tv/Destination-One/Destination-One-s01e05
    Ricciardo on the other hand, seems like a master defender;
    http://www.redbull.tv/Destination-One/Destination-One-s01e02

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.