F1

Was Austin Rosberg’s first successful pass on Hamilton?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    sato113
    Participant

On Lap 18, rosberg made a successful overtake on Hamilton on the back straight and made the move stick. This is the first time this has ever happened? At least at Mercedes…

PorscheF1
    Participant

I’ve been thinking about it and I really believe it is.

minnis
    Participant

Unless you count overtakes at the start, in which case Rosberg overtook Hamilton into the first corner at Austria

Michal
    Participant

Rosberg passed Hamilton early on in Korea 2010 race but I still cannot remember a move in the dry. Crazy.

sato113
    Participant

@minnis not counting starts obviously. Or overtakes where Hamilton simply overtakes him later in the corner/move. Or when hamilton breaks down/has mechanical issues.

Kingshark
    Participant

Rosberg overtook Hamilton on track at both India 2013 and Korea 2013. In Korea, his front wing collapsed as soon as he made the pass though.

Korea 2010 is another one, what made that overtake even more impressive is that it was done with an inferior car.

sato113
    Participant

@kingshark what lap were those overtakes on? i’m trying to find a video :)

Kingshark
    Participant

Sorry for the absolutely awful quality. From 0:30 to 0:54 of this video, you can see Rosberg overtaking Hamilton into Turn 4:

This was on the opening lap, Rosberg overtook Hamilton after Lewis initially jumped him at the start. They were fighting for 2nd and 3rd at the time, behind Vettel. Simultaneously, while Rosberg overtook Hamilton, Massa overtook them both in a 3-wide battle.

He also overtook him at Turn 3 in Korea. His front wing failed at the same time, but nevertheless he made the move stick.

He also overtook him as soon as the safety car went in at Korea 2010:

Jump to 1:30 of that video.

sato113
    Participant

@kingshark thanks for the vids! If I was being really picky, I’d say that overtakes in the first few corners after a race start shouldn’t count, as everyone is so close together even a Karun Chandock could slipstream past a Hamilton.

Same applies to after a SC restart I guess.

I want to see an overtake in normal conditions where Rosberg has close up on Hamilton lap after lap, then pulled off a move.

Kingshark
    Participant

@sato113
    The field was pretty spread out on the SC restart at Korea 2010. I definitely think that one should count. I also don’t see a reason to why the overtake has to be in the dry. If anything, overtakes in the wet are more difficult because of the spray.

PorscheF1
    Participant

So still we can only find one good example since they both drive for Mercedes, being COTA this year.

glynh
    Participant

It’s interesting how few passes he’s made. Does anyone know how many times Hamilton has overtaken him not including starts? Bahrain 2014 is the obvious one but I can’t think of alot during racing.
    It seems like the Mercedes are never near each other.

PorscheF1
    Participant

2014 – Italy (Rosberg forgets to brake in T1), Suzuka (around the outside of T1 in the rain), COTA (can’t remember this one)

PorscheF1
    Participant

COTA was when Rosberg almost left the door open so easily and did not defend on the back straight? So basically two proper overtakes on track (COTA and Suzuka)?

sato113
    Participant

@kingshark sorry when I said ‘normal conditions’ I just meant during a race, not after some special event (start, safety car). Wet or dry doesn’t matter to me :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.