F1

Rumours of Da Costa becoming test driver

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JPQuesado
    Participant

There is a strong rumour here in Portugal that António Félix da Costa, who tested for Force India on the young driver test in Abu Dhabi last year for Force India, will join the raft of testing drivers of Renault (future Lotus) and that the move will include signing a contract with one of the top GP2 teams. Have you heard about anything? Because the portuguese journalists have a special propensity to exagerate when something comes up so I wanted to verufy with you guys before going nuts!

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

Just saw this; great news for Portuguese racing fans. I hope it’s true; despite a mixed GP3 season, I’m adamant that Antonio is a talented grand prix prospect. He displayed flashes of brilliance in F3 and Formula Renault. Here’s the link you probably used:

http://autosport.aeiou.pt/gen.pl?p=stories&op=view&fokey=as.stories/101991

A DAMS seat is a possibility for him.

JPQuesado
    Participant

That’s what I read. I’m wating for tomorrow to see what is written on the magazine and then I may post it here.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@portugoose – I agree. I think da Costa was one of the guys who impressed during the GP2 race at Abu Dhabi. Especially in the feature race.

JPQuesado
    Participant

I have just read the article and all it says is that there are proposals from various teams to Félix da Costa join them and apparently the proposal from Lotus Renault is the most attractive, because they only ask for a little bit over two million euros, which is the necessary for a season on GP2, as they say. Da Costa confirms they are negociating with various teams, but won’t say anything until he is sure that something will be happening.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It’s funny – ART is the GP2 team that has the Lotus backing, but DAMS is the one closest to the actual Formula 1 team. With ART full up, I could see da Costa driving for DAMS. I have no idea who might go with him, though. Grosjean is going into Formula 1, but even if he wasn’t, GP2 rules prevent him from competing in the series again as he is champion. And I cannot see DAMS keeping Pal Varhaug in 2012. A lot of the other GP2 and GP3 front-runners are already spoken for, too.

Felipe Bomeny
    Participant

@Prisoner Monekys

Well, AFC could end up at DAMS, or perhaps even Super Nova (they ran LRGP-backed Fairuz Fauzy this year). DAMS must be eyeing Marco Wittmann, Rio Haryanto, Nico Mueller, Kevin Korjus, and perhaps even Rob Wickens.

Then again, Melker drove for DAMS at the final and wound up at Ocean, and given AFC’s ties with the team (he is the protegee of team owner Tiago Monteiro) he could join the Dutchman.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.