F1

Sauber’s financial problems

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Looks like another team down the drain :-(. Hope they get saved. I predict that by 2020 there will only be 6 teams competing.

Perhaps a budget cap should be introduced.

the_sigman
    Participant

The costs must reduce. I believe it is way too much.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Agreed, I hope prisoner monkeys can come in now and tell us the exact budget for an F1 team.

tmekt
    Participant

From what I’ve understood they have been negotiating with at least a couple of parties already. I’d imagine finding buyers for a team with an image and expertise as good as Sauber has won’t be too difficult.

I’m tired of hearing the knee-jerk “we need a budget cap” response. It would never work for any number of reasons.

One example: how do you impose a fair spending limit on engine manufacturers who build power plants for different numbers of teams? If Mercedes supply four teams and Ferrari three, do Mercedes get to spend 33% more? That doesn’t work because you can’t differentiate between what is spent on research and development and what is spent on construction.

The budget cap is an easy answer which after a moment’s inspection turns out to be riddled with flaws, any one of them enough to compromise it totally. If having a budget cap was realistic we’d have one already.

And even if it did work, you could never convince all the other teams that it was being enforced. So there would be constant innuendo that one team (probably the one that was winning) was spending more than they were allowed to.

Lin1876
    Participant

@keithcollantine You’re absolutely right. Costs absolutely have to come down but they need to come down organically. It would be a great shame if an historic team like Sauber have to go down for the rest of the grid to realise that.

Who’s next? Can Williams survive much longer in their current position? Can Caterham or Marussia? Would Torro Rosso survive if Red Bull decided they had no use for them?

Funkyf1
    Participant

Personally I’m tired of everyone pointing the finger a Monisha. F1 has always been an expensive sport and teams throw millions of dollars at trying to be number 1. Williams recent years are a clear indication of this. There cannot be one single person responsible for the financial issues at Sauber, would the same blame be pointed at Horner if it were RBR?

@Funkyf1

Personally I’m tired of everyone pointing the finger a Monisha.

I wasn’t aware anyone had done! No one here seems to have…

Makes sense to move this discussion here now:

Sirotkin joins Sauber as team develops Russian link

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.