F1

What other activities happen during an F1 race weekend?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    scunnyman
    Participant

I hope some of you guys can help me.

I would like to know how a grand prix weekend is made up? What kind of support races are used and when and how long are the practice sessions and qualifying and the races? Anything else going on during the weekend too?
    MAybe some of you know the same thing for Nascar and Indycar and World Touring Car and Australian V8’s?

I would be very grateful for any information you can give.

The Malaysian GP link in the top menu at the moment has some of that information for the last race:

2013 Malaysian Grand Prix

I’ll post here when the rest are up – they’re normally all done pre-season but the FIA confirmed the calendar so late this year there wasn’t time.

plushpile
    Participant

The AUS GP website has a few things

http://grandprix.com.au/event/on-track

Mathers
    Participant

In terms of support races I hope I can help.

Formula 1 used to have different support races depending on the circuit, so in the early 90s the BTCC were a support act for F1 for the British Grand Prix. Now, there is a more centralised support structure. For the majority of rounds the GP2 Series support, while they are joined in the European races and Abu Dhabi by GP3 and the Porsche Supercup. Some events still have their own support, such as the Australian Grand Prix which had four non championship rounds of V8 Supercars, while they also supported at Abu Dhabi, where they weren’t treated particularly well, as I read on this site at the time.

NASCAR have the principal Sprint Cup race on Sunday night, and usually on the Saturday there is a secondary Nationwide Series race. Sometimes they also include the Craftsman Truck series, and on rare occasions the Global Rallycross Championship.

Indycar has Mazda Road to Indy which consists of the Firestone Indy Lights and possibly the Formula Mazda series.

The V8 Supercars series has the Development Series which I don’t know a lot about, but Casey Stoner is racing in it this season.

For the WTCC, there isn’t quite such a set schedule, with different categories supporting. Last weekend in Monza terence were the European Touring Car Championship that support a few of the rounds (in Europe obviously)and consists of Super 2000 cars, Super 1600s (mainly Ford Fiestas) and Seat Supercopa cars. There was the AutoGP series, which supports other series such as the Blancpain Endurance Series, while they will support again at Sonoma for the Race of the USA, while the Formula 3 European Championship were also there, though they usually support the DTM, and will race before the World Endurance Championship Silverstone 6 Hours.

Hope this is useful to you, apologies for length and sorry for any mistakes I have made.

scunnyman
    Participant

Thanks guys, especially mathers.

I’ve been having this recurring dream of late that i am mega rich and can afford to own formula 1 and build a mega motor racing resort in America. I would have this fancy formula 1 circuit where the F1 cars race one direction and have indycars racing in the opposite direction (not at the same time of course lol). I would have an oval circuit for Nascar too. So over an extended race weekend, thursday to sunday night i could have an indycar race, F1 race, a Wtc race and Australian v8’s plus Nascar on the oval. So people would play one small ticket price and watch several top flight races in one weekend.

The trouble i have is having the time throughtout those 4 days for practices, qualifying and races for all those types of racing.

Also as a postscript. Being an owner of F1 i would try and get the F.I.A. to allow me to organise rules.
    So i would have several tyre manufacturers providing all sets of tyres to the races for the teams they supply and have a rule that all driver MUST use 3 differenet types throughout the race. And make sure they all fill their engines with enough fuel to last at least 5 more laps after the end of the race. This way maybe they could race as fast as they liked beacause enough fuel and plenty of tyres to use, just maybe more pit stops for some.

Any thoughts guys????

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.