F1

Should commentators 'hype up' the action just or report it?

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Alianora La Canta
    Participant

Do football/tennis/cricket/rugby/golf commentators ever pretend dull matches are exciting?

Can’t speak for football, tennis, cricket or golf – I don’t have a similar enough view of exciting/dull to even a “casual fan” to be able to judge how they handle dull events.

Rugby commentators complain mildly about a dull half but only after the whistle has been blown. The most that might happen before that is it will be described as “quiet”, and there’ll be more in-match analysis and context discussion than usual.

Triatlon doesn’t hide when a round is dull, but then it rarely gets a dull round (at least, once one looks away from any potential breakaway leader, which the camera direction and commentators are both able to do).

Personally, faking excitement tends to backfire. Finding something exciting (even if it’s unconventional!) and getting excited about that works. If the top 5 drivers have an acre of space before and after them, it’s good to get excited about that driver who’s 3 places above their car’s natural pecking-order position on merit in 6th. Or the pitched battle for 10th between the sensible racer trying to get their team’s first point and the driver with steam coming out of their ears trying not to break a 15-race points streak. Or the question of modern track maintenance techniques (all of these were possible and underutilised discussion areas in the Monaco Grand Prix).

And if a race truly is without excitement points, let the audience know and explain the reasons and context properly – BAFTAs have been won for such commentary efforts before (take a bow, ITV Indianapolis 2005).

James McGrenery
    Participant

Having witnessed your commentary on the Renault Eurocup races over the Monaco weekend, i think you do an excellent job Keith. Keep it up.

spoutnik
    Participant

Passionate or hyping up is not the same thing but can be close sometimes.

Take for example the GP2/F2 commentator Alex Jakes. Sometimes he is overdoing but I really like his passion and the way he transmits it. He seems geniunely carried away.
    On the contrary the bt sports coverage of Indy 500 was appalling despite decent knowledge from the speakers.

I’d say it needs passion and I don’t mind some hype ups as long as it’s not frequent and generated by some heat instead of calculated.

I don’t see a need for you to review your way of doing your job, if that is what you were asking. You may be sometimes accused of bias or click bait but seriously it’s false most of the time or not worth noticing and globally the themes, articles and analysis are of great quality.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.