F1

Silly Season 2013

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 494 total)
  • Author
    Matthijs
    Participant

Yes, and Verstappen will drive for Mercedes in 2013, since it had been named Brawn and Honda before that. And didn’t Verstappen test for Honda in 1999? ;)

Ryan Williams
    Participant

DAMS is reporting that Valsecchi has been announced as Lotus’ 3rd driver

Bullfrog
    Participant

The bad news for Valsecchi is Jerome d’Ambrosio’s the Reserve Driver…
    So what does Valsecchi do? All the travel and PR duties of an F1 driver, but none of the driving? Or maybe a few donuts and demo runs. Not so good for GP2 to have its champion not racing.

Nick
    Participant

Not so good for GP2 to have its champion not racing.

That seems to be a trend, both with Italian GP2 champions and any winner or a feeder series without huge sponsors backing him, sadly.

In Dutch news, Robin Frijns has said he hopes to get some clarification on his exact role as Sauber test driver this month, traveling to Winhill. He said it looks like he won’t do any running until the Young Drivers’ Test and Sauber doesn’t have a simulator for him to work with either.

@Prisoner_Monkeys
    You have to understand the Dutch media; they’re essentially Italians, but without the harsh words. We still think we’re the greatest when there’s a Dutch success in a sport, but Verstappen has been written off countless times since 1995, but they would also herald him as a future world champion when he tested with Honda in 1999. Ever since, Honda ‘owed’ him something, much like they talk about FI ‘owing’ Giedo something. But, they’re already panning Frijns as well; he made a mistake, should have stayed in WSR, signed at Red Bull, etc, etc.

We collectively don’t talk about Albers anymore, either. He used to dominate TV broadcasting with odd English slogans (he got paid by his sponsors to say ‘Maximum Attack’ as often as possible) and arrogant statements about deserving a better drive.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Not so good for GP2 to have its champion not racing.

I don’t think it’s that great a loss. The 2012 GP2 grid wasn’t very strong.

If I had to make a list of the twenty-two drivers who, in a perfect world – ie without needing sponsors – would race in Formula 1, then I can say with all confidence that Davide Valsecchi would not be on that list.

Kingshark
    Participant

Whatever is happening to Force India? Surely they aren’t going to launch the VJM06 before even announcing their 2013 drivers’ line up? I do predict that something big is going on at Force India.

A brand new team owner is almost a given considering Vijay Mallya’s current state. However, perhaps there will be a big surprise in the drivers duo too?

I wouldn’t be betting on Di Resta being safe either. He’s been in F1 for two seasons now, and on both occasions beaten by his teammate.

andae23
    Participant

I’m hearing rumours that there will be two driver announcements today: Marussia (probably Luiz Razia as mentioned in today’s round-up) and Caterham (most likely Van der Garde).

andae23
    Participant

Random fact: if the Van der Garde rumours are true, then Caterham will feature Barwa Addax’s 2011 GP2 line-up.

Matthijs
    Participant

@andae23: 50% of the Barwa Addax’s 2010 GP2 line-up is driving for McLaren…
    I don’t think Vd Garde will be announced as second driver for Caterham, it has been too quiet around him…

Matthijs
    Participant

Hmm, according to Dutch media, an announcement from Vd Garde is imminent. @Andae23: hopefully Giedo is just as succesful in the Caterham as you are this season! ;)

andae23
    Participant

@matthijs Let’s hope so, but I fear he will be more like Christijan Albers…

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

@Matthijs – and according to the Brazilian media Razia has signed with Marussia, but that isn’t confirmed either…However, both moves are likely. That means 2 more paying drivers on the grid and 4 drivers who (in my opinion) did not deserve to exit the sport: Kobayashi, Kovalainen, Glock and Petrov.

In these conditions, I’d love to see Force India go for Sutil instead of Bianchi. Break the cycle, throw an actually experienced driver in the mix once in while…

Matthijs
    Participant

@tony031r Yes 2 more paying drivers (if rumours are confirmed), but both drivers that on ability alone should be good enough to compete in formula 1, according to their results in GP2.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

@Matthijs I’m not questioning their abilities, I’m questioning their level of experience and their lack of refined skills.

Plus, both backmarkers are going for line-ups consisting in 3 rookie drivers and one with little-to-no experience at all. I’m seriously questioning whether these teams will have any stable reference points in terms of what their cars’ performance and potential are, now that Glock and Kovalainen are gone.

Matthijs
    Participant

@tony031r True, Marussia and Caterham go ‘Williams Style 2012’: chosing 2 pay drivers (with an amount of talent) in order to have money for developing the car, rather than chosing drivers purely based on talent. It worked for Williams, because performance of the car is more important than driver’s performance. Without paydrivers Marussia and Caterham do not have enough money to develop. Sad but true.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 494 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.